roflcopter asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Wire Fox Terrier or Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier?

We're getting a dog and we are stuck between the Wire Fox Terrier and the Wheaten Terrier. Which one is better with kids? Which one is smarter/easier to train? Which one sheds the least?

The kids are 4,6,11,and14...Help please!

Best Answer

Ok finally a person that will answer your question. W/O cutting and pasteing from other web sites.

I am taking care of my good friends Fox Terrier for the summer. I love him, he is easy to train, and very willing to please. He just don't get a long with my Schnauzer but they are getting over it.

If you looked up Wheaten Terrier, most sites say that they are good with kids. From what I have seen they can be excellent with kids. This is a dog that loves to play.

. My Schnauzer is excellent with kids, he gets so excited when my wife's nieces come over. I trust him that he would not bite, with out double in my mind. But I have ran into some many people that tell me that they had a Schnauzer, and they hated kids. They also bite.

While walking my dog on the beach last week. I ran into a man walking a Wheaten, and the dog was very aggressive. I like WOW I never saw a Wheaten behave like that.

But to get to the point I would suggest a Wheaten terrier. Like any dog, socialize early and you will never have a problem. Most people that have aggressive dogs never take them out of the house. They don't how to act around other dogs. I seen first hand raising my Schnauzer. As I socialized him more less aggressive he became.

Source(s): Both dogs are not any harder to train then the average dog. Terrier learn quick, and then like to challenge you to see if you will give them a treat without them doing what you asked. But thats another issue for another question.
  • dorval

Wheaten Terrier Shedding

The Wheaten Terrier is of a wonderful character which can be trained by a caring and loving family like any other dog only exceptions are security dogs which need to be trained for a specific purpose. These two types of terrier are bred for two different purposes the benefit's have to be looked at carefully.

Firstly the wire haired terrier is a lively chap ok they may need some firm handling but at the end of the day you have a loyal working dog.

As we breed Wheaten terriers and have bred other breeds as well for over 30 years find they are comical well behaved yet always full of life and energy. We recommend you ask the soft coated wheaten terrier club if you can visit someone with one close to you and then if you still like the dog then you have to be vetted with regards to being suitable owners as you will know that both you and the dog are matched for life.

The wheatens other benefit is that it doesn't not moult hairs all over the place but does need grooming due to its teddy bear coat.

hope this helps you

Well, I grew up with Wheatens and my dog nephew (sister's dog) is a Wheaten who has been in the family for 10 years. I have a wire fox terrrier myself, so I think I can answer this one.

Both breeds are unbelievably cute and loving. Both have happy dispositions. There is a difference, though. Wheatens are extremely exuberant. They are a bit more hyper than the wires believe it or not. The wires are active and bouncy, but the Wheatens are so much bigger and harder to control. I have taken the Wheaten in the car where he always wants to jump from front seat to back, from driver side to passenger side and when he gets to the park goes "nuclear" jumping all around till he gets out of the car. My wire rides in the car calmly snuggled in the passenger seat most of the way.

That said, I think Wheatens are a bit better with kids. My niece and nephew have had the Wheaten since birth and have patted him in the face, pulled on him, etc. and he just lovingly takes it. The wires have been known to snap with very small kids.

Wheatens are also a bit better with other dogs. I find the wire does not like other dogs except of his own breed.

Neither dog sheds--the Wheaten won't leave any hair whatsoever and the wire might have a few hairs fall out on furniture and such, but not much. Both are bright and easy to train, athletic and fun.

Both are really great dogs. In fact, my two fav breeds dog. It kind of comes down to size. The Wheaten is a medium sized, but almost feels like a pretty big dog--up tp 50 pounds or so. The wire can be easily picked up and stays below 20 pounds.

The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier is medium-sized.

Temperament

The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier is an alert and happy animal - graceful, strong and well-coordinated. A playful and friendly terrier. They make great watch dogs and bark at the arrival of guests. **They are usually very loving with children and get along reasonably well with other dogs (provided they are socialized when they are young).** They have a puppy attitude that remains with it throughout its life. Sweet-tempered, easy-going and self-confident. This breed needs to be taught when it's young what is and is not acceptable behavior. It is very intelligent, so it will generally grasp quickly what is required of them. They have a straightforward nature and need to be handled in a straightforward manner. Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers bond extremely closely with their family. They seldom bark unnecessarily. The Soft Coated Wheaten should be well socialized with other dogs while they are young puppies. This breed is increasing in popularity and is known in most areas of the United States, but it may still require some calling around to find a breeder.

Living Conditions

The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier is good for apartment life. They are moderately active indoors and a small yard will do. This breed does not tolerate heat very well.

Exercise

The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier can get by with moderate exercise as long as it is regular.

Life Expectancy

About 12-15 years. PLAESE DO NOT BUY A DOG IF YOU DO NOT PLAN TO KEEP IT ITS ENTIRE LIFE

Grooming

When grooming the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, the object is to achieve a natural look and brushing can make the soft coat fuzzy. So using a brush is not recommended. Instead, frequent, even daily combing of the long, profuse coat with a medium-toothed comb is recommended to keep it free of tangles - beginning when the dog is a puppy. Clean the eyes and check the ears carefully. Bathe or dry shampoo when necessary. *****The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier does not shed in the spring and fall, but loose hair should be combed out of the coat from time to time. A well-groomed dog will shed very little. *****This breed is good for allergy suffers.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): wire fox terrier soft coated wheaten terrier: https://tinyurl.im/8sA9Z

my vote would be with the wheaten terrier

not exactly an expert on the subject, but i have a westie which is very similar to a wheaten terrier

a wheaten should be great with kids as they love to play and be cuddled

my westie doesn't shed ie leave piles of fur on my knee or the furniture, but he does need a good brush about once a week plus we take him for a hair cut every couple of months. But most of the dust bunnies under the sofa are white + fluffy, i wonder where they came from???!!!!

most terriers are very smart - but that means they like to think for themselves rather than just do what they're told. My westie knows all the commands but often just decides not to bother obeying! if you're looking for a very obedient dog rather than a cheeky rascal, you might not want a terrier!

i know you're set on a fox or a wheaten, but i'd go for a westie!

k

http://www.terrier-dogs.co.uk

I'd say go to some local dog shows....the AKCs website has a search area for shows....and meet the breeds in person and talk to the people owning them.

But understand that at shows you usually meet very good examples of the breed that are very well trained and very well socialized. Ask for people's cards if you like them and like their dogs. Ask what the pros AND cons are to the breed.

I would not say either is "easy" to train. A Wheaten is slightly easier perhaps. Depending on how it's raised.

Don't get any puppy under 8 weeks and research so you know how to tell a good breeder from a BYB that just wants your money.

Neither should shed a lot....but both need upkeep and grooming. My Wire Fox clients were on a 4-6 week schedule and my Wheatens were on a 4 week schedule unless they were kept very short....they matt easily.

I would be concerned with such young kids....ask the breeders what they think about that. Some Terriers are very quick to snap, but not all. I've met some that are bomb proof.

I happen to like Cairn Terriers, but that's me.

Source(s): Retired groomer, raising and showing Whippets for over 20 yrs.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about Fox Terriers but Terriers in general are a little harder to train than your average lab. Not to say they can't be trained, they are jsut wired differently.

That being said, I have known MANY great wheatens in my life. I have never met one I didn't really like or thought needed better training or was too hyper.

Do your own studies in the mean time and look on AKC.org to find what the typical breed is like and see which fits your lifestyle best.

Good luck and congrats in advance on your new pup!!

both these breeds aren't exactly the best breed to get for a family. Being that they are terriers they can be very stubborn making them extremely difficult to train. Both those breeds are nut cases and have very odd personalities.The Wire hair Fox terriers are very hystrung and don't like being handled. They can be snappy if you do something they don't like. They don't have much patience. The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier are known to have aggression issues towards both people and other dogs. I have met a lot of Soft coated wheaton terriers and Wire hair fox terriers and I've only met a select few that were actually "normal" and friendly. If you read the breed standard of those breeds they only tell you about the good points of there temperments but in reality they are "weird" dogs. I myself wouldn't trust them with kids. They can be unpredictable.

Source(s): I've been working professionally with dogs for 10 years.