are emotional support animals allowed in hotels the way they are allowed in apartments?

Isn't a hotel a temporary "home". Without a person or animal with me, I cannot fully enjoy the accomodations due to my disability.

I am eligible for a service animal but do not have one

Favorite Answer

under the ADA your dog MUST be allowed to come with you. and they are NOT ALLOWED to charge you extra for having the service dog with you. a fee for pets does not apply to you. This is very clear in the regulations and most big chains know this and abide by it if you have any problems call the national chain and it is often taken care of.

EDIT:

Actually the ADA does not allow places of public accommodation to ask for documentation regarding your service dog. However sometimes they do so it is usually best if you have some paperwork it makes the situation much easier.

I have a service dog. She goes with me just about everywhere. There are a few places where I do have to explain that she is a service dog. Even though she always wears a vest & has an ID tag on whenever she is out with me. I still have to explain that I am not bringing my pet in but a service dog. I don't see any problem with a service dog staying in a hotel at all. Many places are aware of the laws as they pretain to a service animal.

Absolutely. You are entitled under the Fair Housing Act to be able to have the same access to service animals as someone who is blind. As a hotel is considered "temporary housing", you are entitled to take a service animal. If a hotel gives you an issue with it, retain a lawyer. Don't worry about the cost of legal fees, you'll have plenty before too long.

Source(s): I work in Fair Housing. There are Legal precedents backing this decision. And a Boston Legal episode.

My sister in law has a service animal, carries her documentation for her while traveling and so far as I know she hasn't been denied anywhere. I have been with her in certain public places such as restaurants at times where she has been asked if Sasha was a service animal, but I've never even seen her asked to produced proof of it. Her dog goes with her everywhere and at our local VA there is a woman with a cat registered as an emotional support animal and I've never heard of her saying she had any problems. No reputable establishment will deny you or charge you more for services because of it as it is illegal to do so under the ADA. If anyone tries to jerk you around on it you have every right to recourse. Nobody wants to get publicity for denying a person with special needs services, as to do so is illegal, potentially expensive, and just poor form all around.

• leesa

Check with the hotel. If you have a guide dog or a similiar support dog (for your disability) then most hotels will allow the animal to accompany you throughout the hotel.

A large number of hotels accept family pets, doesnt even have to be a "special dog" or other animal.

Ask when you make you reservations. .

Since it isn't a "qualified" service animal, how about just patronizing hotels that accept pets for anyone--disabled or otherwise?

Hotels and all businesses are required under the ADA to permit your support animal access to their business facility. You are not required to provide any form of documentation to prove that your animal is a support animal. Your word is sufficient.

However, since people are idiots, I recommend that you print out and carry the following web pages (the fourth one is a federal court verdict about a non-guide dog service animal):

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/animal.htm

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/svcanimb.htm

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/reachingout/lesson13....

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/hntvilmcd.htm

Source(s): Personal experience.

hello cng,

as a rule animals would not be allowed in a building like an apartment or hotel unless they are helping the blind or deaf person. You just need to explain your situation.

Source(s): I said also deaf person because a deaf person uses a dog too. for the blind these would be seeing eye dogs. For the deaf helping them to hear but in any case these dogs warn of danger. One example would be the show Sue Thomas FBI she is deaf in the show her dog helps her investigate.
  • Pops

You will have to ask the hotel management about that. Different hotels have different rules. Good luck. Pops

Source(s): My thoughts