Is there any chance Bush will pull off a " Night of the Long Knives" as Hitler did in 1934?

Remember, 63% of the Germans opposed Hitler. Only they were too divided amongst themselves and could/did not respond to his seizure of power that summer in 1934. Bush may be lame, damaged and his administration is imploding, but do you really think Cheney will let go of his power and the imperial presidency he... show more Remember, 63% of the Germans opposed Hitler. Only they were too divided amongst themselves and could/did not respond to his seizure of power that summer in 1934. Bush may be lame, damaged and his administration is imploding, but do you really think Cheney will let go of his power and the imperial presidency he created ? I don't see the reigns of power being willingly surrendered 569 days from now.
Update: Cake: I believe its one's patriotic duty to express concerns and question authority. You KNOW this president does not respect the rule of law, and nor does his VP. Who knows what they are capable of, since they can start bogus wars and lie to the American people as well as the world? I remain convinced... show more Cake: I believe its one's patriotic duty to express concerns and question authority. You KNOW this president does not respect the rule of law, and nor does his VP.
Who knows what they are capable of, since they can start bogus wars and lie to the American people as well as the world? I remain convinced Bush was not legally elected in 2000, and has no principles. But thanks for your response.
Update 2: Ken: Just to stay out of Imperial entaglements and out of the way of the GESTAPO, ummmm I will take a rain check on this question.
Update 3: Skip: We still don't know how or why JFK was killed, unless you buy the Warren Commission rept. Did you hear about the 1930s attempt to remove FDR - Smedley Butler had a hand in stopping it. " to paraphrase: if it prosper, none dare call it treason" . I don't know honestly what is going to... show more Skip: We still don't know how or why JFK was killed, unless you buy the Warren Commission rept.
Did you hear about the 1930s attempt to remove FDR - Smedley Butler had a hand in stopping it.
" to paraphrase: if it prosper, none dare call it treason" . I don't know honestly what is going to happen 569 days from now.
Update 4: Katie: Ding ! Ding ! Ding !... that is my point. Things seem to be in flux now. Changes can happen suddenly with out warning where there are vested interests at stake. This MCA and the suspension of habeas corpus is worrisome.
Update 5: Cake: I am not offended. These are interesting times but I feel this administration has much to answer for. Lets's see if they do. Can we still hold leaders accountable?
Update 6: Fast Eddie: Just because I am paranoid, does not mean....
Update 7: Winn Dee: I don't like fascism any more than I guess you do. Hillary does not seem to be electable, but it will be 20 years before I ever support a Republican. My cat would do a better job.
Update 8: Charlie Noble: It was not just the SA they went after. Dr. Willi Schmidt, and his wife,there were lawyers, publicists, priests, archetects, former prime ministers, politicians and chancellors, members of the Riechstag, and publishers.- anyone whom Hitler faced judgment and execution with no recourse to law. - I... show more Charlie Noble: It was not just the SA they went after. Dr. Willi Schmidt, and his wife,there were lawyers, publicists, priests, archetects, former prime ministers, politicians and chancellors, members of the Riechstag, and publishers.- anyone whom Hitler faced judgment and execution with no recourse to law. - I hardly think declaring him self leader for life and combining the presidency and Chancellorship. There were quite a few more. One interesting parallel : in 1934 Hitler said " In this hour I was responsible for the fate of the German people, and thereby I became the supreme judge of the German people!". Bush in his inarticulate fashion said he" I I am the decider " Like Hitler, Bush with his disdain for the Constitution and law of the land, places himself above the law.
Update 9: Point of clarification: these little comment windows are tricky. Combining the office of the presidency and Chancellorship and claiming them for life, ended the legitimate government in Germany. What's : legal " is not always right.
I do see a parallel and a fascinating question.
Update 10: ALASPADA: the only time these questions are dangerous is when you are NOT allowed to say them. This Bush administration seems to be pushing on the boundries of facsim. As others have stated, provisions in the Homeland Security Act, the MCA, his signing statements sanctioning torture, and even his bugus war in... show more ALASPADA: the only time these questions are dangerous is when you are NOT allowed to say them. This Bush administration seems to be pushing on the boundries of facsim. As others have stated, provisions in the Homeland Security Act, the MCA, his signing statements sanctioning torture, and even his bugus war in Iraq...all indicate an oligarchy that has no respect for law or our Constution or the separation of powers.
I can't believe the ammount of power siezed by the executive branch in Bush's 2 terms.
I am just hoping we can un do some of these things.
Update 11: DVC: But if you connect the dots... see where this leads? Yes, we all want civil order and trains that run on time, but at what cost? And if you end up as one of the oppressors, at what cost will it be? History is strewn with the ruins of totolirarian states. Some last for a while, some don't. Still... show more DVC: But if you connect the dots... see where this leads? Yes, we all want civil order and trains that run on time, but at what cost? And if you end up as one of the oppressors, at what cost will it be?
History is strewn with the ruins of totolirarian states. Some last for a while, some don't.
Still they are best avoided.
Update 12: Fluffie and Monkey Business: I hope and pray I am just a crazy alarmist. If you look at how totolitarian states happen, it always seems to be a ruthless and criminal leadership who are the catylist joined by those with wealth, vested interests and ... you know the rest.
Update 13: Dowah: That is what editors are for.
Update 14: Dowah: That is what editors are for.