Can I use antibacterial hand soap on my face to clear up acne?

I've always wondered since acne is caused from bacteria.

Favorite Answer

well I've read the other answers...and I do use antibacterial soap on my face...not all of the time but I would say once a week....it doesn't dry my face out though because my skin is so oily...

I wouldn't recommend it..my mom is a cosmetologist and she always tells me not to. She said that it takes away too much of the good oil and good bacteria off of your skin and can make your face dry, irritated, itchy, and age quicker. Go and get some good acne face wash....try different things eventually you will find something you like and that works. If your acne is really bad, i would suggest seeing the doc. They will be able to prescribe you something that will work for sure.

Don't overuse antibacterial anything, especially don't use it on your face. The MRSA strain of staph running rampant all over America today is partly because of people over-using antibacterials and antibiotics. The more you use an anti-bacterial soap, the more resistant any missed bacteria can become, not a good idea, especially around your face.

More than likely, that will dry up your face and make your skin peel and feel hard.

I'd recommend getting a cleanser designed to prevent acne. I recommend Cetaphil- I've used it for years and it's a really good acne cleanser.

Ugh. Too harsh.

Dab on some hydrogen peroxide on the acne itself (not all over your face), some sugar-free antiseptic mouthwash (Listerine-type stuff), some tea tree oil (antiseptic, antifungal.)

But you're gonna be hurtin' if you use that crap on your face. I can't even stand it on my hands--I mean, I use it if there's nothing else, but it strips your hands dry.

You don't wanna do that to your face, because your skin will flip out and produce a bunch of oil to repair the damage. Use a GENTLE antibacterial agent and some oil-free moisturizer afterwards so your skin doesn't go overboard trying to moisturize your dried-out skin.

Shudder!

I would suggest using a facial cleanser along with a facial mosturizer. I don't think that anti bacterial soap would hurt you, but it would definitely dry your skin. I would stick to the products made specifically for your face.

Source(s): Trial and Error

Read tips on treating Acne, Skincare and Home Remedies on this site

Source(s): This will help you-Free useful tips & Articles on almost any topic- http://tune.in/li

facial cleansers are more effective because they target your pours and clean out the excess dirt and oils.

i would suggest neutrogena oil free acne wash. it's effective and works for me. it might just be my genes, but i've been using it for 3 years, and have only broken out one time.