MiRaie asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 decade ago

Where does methane naturally comes from?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I know of two natural sorces: one is mesophilic organisms that live inside the digestive tracts of larger animals. They thrive with warmth and lack of light and are responsible for much of the natural decomposition of any organic substance. Another source is what I would call primordial methane, which was part of the galactic soup the solar system was formed from. Methane is routinely detected on other planets and in star forming regions of galaxies.

• 1 decade ago

The main source of methane is from the numerous landfills around the world. Without oxygen to assist the trash in its natural decomposition, the matter breaks up and gives off methane.

• Amy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

We have methane in different forms, I'm not sure of the chemical names, that can release methane as they break down. Methane is also released during the decomposition process-whether in a stomach or a pile of garbage.

• Fieyr
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It's made underground in regular earth processes. There are methane vents in the ocean infact that, if a whole bunch of menthane is released at once, it drastically decreases the buoyancy of the water and can cause boats to sink aka bermuda triangle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Mainly from animals and human excrement. Methane will naturally form in places where carbon and hydrogen exists. This might be around stars or in interstellar

space or even in dark clouds.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oh my god. Cows make methane. We chop up cows and put them in ovens, then make clothes, furniture and car seats from their skin. This is all starting to sound eerily familiar.

• 3DM
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Decomposition of organic material

Metabolism of cellulose by microorganisms - the majority living in the digestive tracts of termites, then ungulates (grazing mammals, primarily cattle.)

• 1 decade ago

cows asses

and everyones elses

and composting trash and organic items at the land fills

• 1 decade ago

farts

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.