What is diversity?

If diversity comes from the word divide then why are we trying to unite while being divided? Isn't that an oxymorron? The United States has always been much stronger as a melting pot rather than a salad bowl.

Diversity: The division of classes among a certain population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity

I hope we all know where the word division comes from. It’s a process to divide. I also hope most of us passed elementary mathematics to understand this simple fact. Also, if you separate apples from the oranges then you divided the fruit into two different and separate groups.

Favorite Answer

The word "diversity" comes from the word "diverse" and according to www.dictionary.com the definition of "diverse" is as follows:

di·verse

–adjective 1. of a different kind, form, character, etc.; unlike: a wide range of diverse opinions.

2. of various kinds or forms; multiform.

diverse

adjective

1. many and different; "tourist offices of divers nationalities"; "a person of diverse talents" [syn: divers]

2. distinctly dissimilar or unlike; "celebrities as diverse as Bob Hope and Bob Dylan"; "animals as various as the jaguar and the cavy and the sloth"

And the definition of "diversity" is as follows:

di·ver·si·ty

–noun, plural -ties. 1. the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness.

2. variety; multiformity.

3. a point of difference.

So with that being said, the word "divided" which you used in your question is not referring to "non unity" as far as racism is concerned, but rather a descriptive word used to express "differences" in diversity (being of various kinds or forms).

It doesn't come from the word divide. It comes from the word...diverse...hence... diversity. It's very simple. How'd you not pick up on that? Haha. :-)

Source(s): My noggin.

I always thought it came from the word different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. Differences are good. They are what make us such a great people.