uuummk
Lv 5
uuummk asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

Is there an electrical tool to clean stained grout that has never been sealed?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What about using something like oxyclean in a paste form and using an electric toothbrush? It's gentler than a dremel tool if you're looking to preserve the grout and it's small enough to get into all the areas of the grout. The oxyclean paste will bleach it while not destroying the grout. If you don't want to use oxyclean, use a vinegar/baking soda paste. You'll have to put more elbow grease into using that solution, but it does work as a bleaching agent without ruining anything. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

I don't think there's such a tool that only "cleans" the grout. You'll probably have to remove the stained grout. I used a dremel to remove the stained grout, but you can use just about any type of rotorary tool. The dremel has an attachment (fairly inexpensive) that ensures the dremel stays at the proper angle. They're are also different bits available, according to the width of the grout line, i.e. 1/8 or 1/4 etc.

Once you get the hang of it, the process goes very quickly.

You don't have to clean-out all the grout, just go as deep as necessary to reach, clean, unstained grout. Afterwards, you re-apply fresh grout, even changing colors if you wanted.

Most importantly, seal the fresh grout immediately. Tomorrow, sometimes turns into next week, and so forth.

good luck

• Carl P
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

dremel tool has a attachment used to clean out grout, it is a plastic angle attachment with a gourging bit. If the grout is bad it will chip out and you will need to re-grout after you are done.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Use the dremel, then bleach and re-grout as necessary. Seal immediately.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Rake it and re-grout.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.