shefy7 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog is getting hotspots. What are they caused by and what natural things can I use to help heal them...?

And prevent more?! Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

mine got that recently after we took her to petco to get her hair shaved. but they can be caused by a lot of different things, you need to get your dog to the vet to get it checked out. i went to the vet and he gave her a shot, pills and a cream. they all helped keep her from scratching and gave the skin a chance to heal. she suffers from dry skin anyway and while looking for a shampoo for her i have come across a lot of them made for soothing itchy skin. i got her earthbath shampoo with tea tree oil and aloe vera. it seems to be working, the bottle says it relieves hot spots, try that. but you still need to get her to the vet. if you can't get shampoo right now try an oatmeal bath at home. get a wash cloth and put it over a bowl, put a handfull of oatmeal on the cloth and then pour some warm water over it, let it soak for a few minutes and then squeeze the cloth to pour the oatmeal water over the dog. do this for a few minutes then rinse with luke warm water. here's a website with other tips as well

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/hot...

At the first onset of a hotspot U have to go to the vet - immediately! He or she will shave the area, put medecine on it & give you instructions 4 daily care for a certain amount of days. This includes several times a day placing a hot cloth on it & applying med. After a while U will see the healing & hair growing back. Return 2 your vet when told, so your dog can B checked professionally. It's a process that takes time, love, & care. Had 2 do it many times for our Basset Hound Barney Fife.

Usually the hot spot area needs to be shaved...the vet uses an electric razor, then the area is washed and dried, and a cortisone cream or antibiotic spray is applied. You can also give benedryl to control the itching while it heals. If it does not look better in a couple days..I would suggest a vet visit for possibly an oral antibiotic. Hot spots can be caused from a number of things...a bug or flea bite, a scratch, scrape, rash from allergy etc..that the dog just starts to compulsively chew until it becomes infected and oozing.

Source(s): ex vet tech.

My Rottweiler used to get hot spots all the time. I haven't ever heard of a "natural way" to heal them. I always went to the vet and got a special cleanser and an antibiotic to clear up the infection. But I have seen an OTC cleanser in the grocery store for hot spots.

Brewers Yeast

An Antibiotic ointment or there is an over the counter shampoo for the hot spots also.

If it gets worse take to a Vet

Good Luck

HOT DOG

My dog's hot spots were caused by her diet. At the time I was buying the dry dog food that you can get at the supermarket which of course is just garbage with the main ingredient being ground yellow corn. The best natural thing is to improve your dog's diet.

With our older dog, her hot spots are caused by the fact that she's allergic to fleas. We have to give her some medication, Omega 3 fatty acid, good baths and flea treatments.

That doesn't necc. mean that could be why your dog has hot spots. If your concerned go and talk to the vet about it.

My groomer just advised me of some hot spots on my Golden's she told me to get some brewers yeast tabs in the pet dept at walmart and also some jock itch spray to use on them......keeping the hair cut short in the hot months will help so very much....my 2 golden's now look like lab's...lol. Good Luck

my babies all have them occasionally, especially the ones that have skin allergies. I use aloe and lotions early on, don't let them get bad and they go away quickly.