Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Kitty cries when I am asleep...help!?

Kitty cries when I am asleep. Everything is accessible to her (food, water, litter box, & toys) when I am asleep (and all day for that matter). I give her lots of attention when I am awake. But when I am asleep, she cries at my door for more. When I let her in, she is noisy and gets into everything (I try to tune it out, but it won't work). Any suggestions? I need my sleep! She wakes me up 5x a night!

Favorite Answer

Sounds like you have a siamese, or a cat similiar to that. My cat is a Snow Tiger Siamese and Ive had him for one year now. Noisey as hell. Milk and stuff wont work, let her in, let her sleep with you, play with her before bed to wear her out. It usally works

Well, consider getting a hamster and put it in a hamster cage so your Kitty and watch it. It sounds like your kitty is bored. If you work or go to school all day, sure you Kitty will want attention when you get home.

You could get creative and get those tubes that twist and turn all around the living room. Let your mouse or hamster run free and your cat will have a ball.

Or get another cat to keep it company. But do spend time petting her at some point so she will feel assured you care for her.

NO COWS MILK! Goat's milk, and nonfat dry milk reconstituted is OK. If you are giving cow's milk, her stomach may be hurting, as cats do not do well with it. But getting back to the issue. Some cats are noisy. They cry all of the time because they want to be next to you. If she does not quiet down when let into the room, she is a busy body! She may need a cat or puppy companion of her own. Purposely choose a quiet one. Confining them to an area where they cannot disturb you may be necessary, even caging. I have actually used barker breakers(the noisy kind!) on cats. They work, but you have to put up with the noise for awhile.

She sounds like she is just a baby. She is used to having the comfort of a mother. When her mother figure (you) is not around, it scares her. I think you should cave and let her sleep next to you. When she tries to sleep during the day, wake her up, and get her to play a lot in the late afternoon evening so she tires out. My cat slept on my bed for years, and it was never a problem. Just train her to sleep when she is in your room. Remove any distractions, and don't allow her to play with anything in your room at any other times during the day--I mean keep the door closed so it's off limits to her. Make her associate your room with sleeping. If you try to train her for awhile and she still isn't getting it, then put her in a room with everything she needs in it and let it go. Some cats aren't trainable.

Pretend she is a dog and put her in her travel cage. That worked for one of our kittens. We gave her a nice fluffy blanket and a stuffed toy beanie baby cat. After 3 nights she finally slept most of the night. We kept it up for the first month then moved her blanket into a catbed and now she sleeps there most of the night. She'll get up once or twice but that's about it. We go to bed late so she was only in the carrier for about 6 hours before being let out to pee, roam. Hope this helps.

You know how cats hate getting wet? Well, I suggest you keep a squirt bottle close to you at all times. When she starts meowing at night at your door, squirt her (make sure the squirt is on stream, not spray). If you let her into your room and she gets into everything, squirt her then as well. Let her know that you are the boss and actions like that will not be tolerated.

It may take a little while at first only because she is so used to getting her way.

Don't just try to drown the sound out cuz it will just drive you crazy!

Good luck!

Source(s): It worked for me!

Well, you basically have to look at it like this: she's a baby! Maybe she wants to sleep with you. Alot of people sleep with their pets. But, if you are going to let her in your room though, make sure there is nothing for her to get into on the floor. She could be lonely, try getting her a buddy. Or her own bed.

I would make sure you leave your door open to your room - any cat wants somewhere they think they can't go. Try to run her around your house or apt. playing and then cuddle her with you to bed. It worked for mine. Hope this helps. Also, make sure she eats a bite before bedtime, that usually makes them sleepy too. I would feed last, you don't want her to get an upset tummy from running around playing with food in her little tummy. Good luck!

hot water bottle wrapped in towels or pop bottles work too! Do you have a wind up alarm clock? Those work (sounds like a heartbeat) under the blanket of the hot water bottle...last resort, in another room, hot water pop bottles and the tv on low...she misses her mom and sibs, the hot water bottles is their warmth and the ticking or the tv is so she doesn't feel alone....Good Luck!

Source(s): Have a 2yr old cat and a 6 week old kitten...

Try placing a piece of your clothing that you have worn into her basket or place she sleeps, and this should help.

she just needs to feel that you are close, and is probably lonely and scared. also, an alarm clock that ticks and/or a stuffed animal can help too.

good luck!