Burned plastic smell from 2001 Toyota 4 Runner SRS???

I recently started smelling burned plastic from under the car near the rear wheel wells. I thought it could be something minor like a plastic bag uder the car that got stuck. I looked under the car and saw nothing. The car is not running funny nor have I had any problems with the car. It has about 99K on it right now. I have not had the timing belt changed as it should be done in th 90K check. Could this be the reason for the smell. Also what is a normal amount for the timing belt to be changed? People see a young woman come into a garage and automatically they want to take advantage. I need some help. Thanks to all that respond.

Favorite Answer

it is not very important problem

This happened on one of my old vans. The springs on the van gave out, and the tire was rubbing on the wheel well, making a burning rubber smell. I dont know the difference between burning rubber and burning plastic.

Car fresheners for the win.

It could be your brake pads or even your brakes.