Decent system for the price?

Thinking of the following system. It's around $500.00, so good price. I like to game - but not a HARDCORE gamer. I like to play CS Source, BF2, WOW at high settings and resolution.

What you think? I would be curious of your opinions

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S - Retail

$37.99

Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 Power Supply -

$99.99

GIGABYTE GA-M61SME-S2 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$52.99

PNY VCG85512GXPB GeForce 8500GT 512MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$114.99

Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model CT12864AA667 - OEM

$40.99

# AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA4600CUBOX - Retail

# Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Both items combo $162.99

Favorite Answer

The list looks ok. I'm a little concerned with your Motherboard choice. Gigabyte is ok... Asus has a better track record and is hands down a better quality manufacturer. I would look at the ASUS M2N-MX SE as an alternate. Besides having 6 channels for audio versus the Gigabyte's 3, it has an updated southbridge and they cost about the same (54.99 for the Asus). Plus, it's an ASUS board. But If I'm getting this right, the MB and CPU are bundled. that may be the way to go if price is your biggest concern.

Good Luck

You really did some Homework!! You found some Great Deals on all of your Hardware. And you picked-out a really good Video Card for the Price!! Sounds like your Building a Cost-Efficient Gaming PC!!

I would do a Bit more Research on the MotherBoard, just to make sure its what you want. Everything Revolves around your MotherBoard!!

If Price is what you are Aiming for, then I would Check Out some other Cases. I have an Aspire X-plorer Mid-Tower! It came with a 420W Power Supply, and was about $90.

But if you like the case you picked out better, then you've got the Best Price for what you can Possibly get!!

But, if you want a FLAMING FAST PC, then you should get a Western Digital Raptor Hard-Drive. I got mine at NewEgg for just over $100. I got the Smallest (36GB) Raptor you can get, but it was Worth it!! WD Raptors are 10,000 RPM, and have a large 16MB Cache (Regardless of Size), all are SATA!! I opted to use a Secondary Hard-Drive to Store everything that Wasn't an Application. I also found that having 2 Hard-Drives makes you PC faster (Especially for Gaming).

But the CPU/Hard-Drive Combo you found is Remarkably a Good Deal!!!!

Buy Everything, Except for the Case, MotherBoard & Hard-Drive. Do some Research on the rest. Then, you can deside what is best for you.

I spent over $800 on my Gaming PC. And I have an out-of-date system!! But, it runs everything just about as good as a New Gaming PC!!

I started out with just an AMD Sempron, Foxconn 755 MotherBoard, 512MB RAM, and my X-Plorer Case with Power-Supply in November 2005.

And I used my Old 30GB Hard-Drive out of my Presario, as well as the Optical Drives!!

I did some Major Upgrading last Winter!!!!

I have a Socket 754 Athlon 64 3400+, 1.5GB DDR400RAM,

36GB WD Raptor (C:), and a 160GB SATA WD Caviar (D:),

Aspire X-Plorer Case with 420W Power-Supply, a Sapphire Radeo 9600 PRO Advantage 8x AGP Video Card,

Big Water 735 Liquid Cooling System, HDD Water-Block,

Old 8x DVD-ROM, & an Old 4x CD-RW Drive.

Kicks the Pants off of my Brothers Intel Celeron-D!!!!

Source(s): My Experience with trying to get the Best Possible Deal on PC Hardware!!!!

$99.99

make sure you have an ATI Radeon for good 3d images this is as good as it gets

The Hardware configuration looks good for the price. But you gotta spend some more money to get Speakers, keyboard and Mouse. It will be around $575. For that price its a good configuration. In case if you planned to install Windows Vista you should be a bit of more memory as 1 GB wont be sufficient.

this system would be even best for some of the new games as well.. like microsoft flight simulator X or need for speed carbon. price tag is good for the specs. just grab it . ram is more than enough as well... well graphics card is OK ok? the only thing is LE which means that some of the capabilities of 3d card wont be available to you. which i m sure wont be even handy for u... like something to do with graphic intensive applications which r mostly animation editors and everything. ull be more than happy with this system...just go n try that pc check it n ull know it urself. hope my answer helps

Looks good however a 8500GT is overkill for C&C and WOW seeing as it could play Crysis, you could also save a few bucks by getting a motherboard without the onboard video chipset. What website are you getting these prices from.

Swap the 8500GT for an 8600GT. Not only can you find one that's cheaper than your listed one, it'll also have better performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...