Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Does a father have the right???

Does a father have the right to change the last name of his child, even if the mother doesnt want to?? Under What Law? What Code?

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You would need to file a petition to change the name of the child. The name of a minor is something that requires the involvement of the father, even if he is not named on the birth certificate. In other words, you will not be able to legally change the child's name without notice to him.

    The law requires that if a child resides with a guardian, the non-custodial parent must receive notice of the name change. This notice is required even if the birth certificate does not contain the name of the non-custodial parent.

    There are a couple of situations where notice is not required. These include situations involving domestic abuse or the termination of parental rights.

  • 1 decade ago

    I am pretty sure that in any state you must have both the mother and father's consent to change a child's name..Unless, one of the parents are deceased or had their parental rights taken away.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.