Ac fan runs intermittently?

When I turn my central air unit on (fan switch on auto, heat/cool switch on cool) the condessor unit will come on (outside) and then shortly after the inside blower fan will come on. However, the blower fan will only stay on for about 1-2 minutes and then shut off for 1-2 minutes then turn back on and so on consistantly untill finally it will reach its target temp. even if I turn the fan switch to "on" it turns on and off every 1- 2 minutes. is it supposed too so this? I am no where near my target temp of 71 F while it is doing this...

Favorite Answer

no the blower motor should never do that....this normally indicates there is some kind of problem with the blower motor or there is some componet that controls the fan motor in the air handler that is going bad.. the motor has an internal overload that shuts it down if it gets to hot or pulls to many amps..this would cycle about every 1 to 2 minutes on any blower motor.....If this a air conditioner that you have had for a while the most likely problem is the motor is going bad....if it is a new system it could be a bad electronic board or the duct work was sized wrong and there is not enough back pressure on the fan to prevemnt it from moving to much air and this would also cause the motor to cycle like that....

Source(s): 40 years master hvac tech...master electrician..certified oil and gas burner tech...

i did no longer examine your finished description, even in spite of the incontrovertible fact that it feels like the evaporator coil under the sprint is icing up by a low refrigerant cost. once you first turn the A/C on, the ice starts off to variety on the evaporator coil till it completely plugs it up so air won't be able to pass by any further. then you definately change the A/C off and the ice melts. then you definately change the A/C back on and it works advantageous till the ice varieties back. an identical element occurs to a house refrigerator whilst the electrical powered defrost heater factor fails to soften the evaporator ice from the evaporator coil fins.

I would get an ac guy to check it out. You could have a short in the fan or even a bad thermostat.

Your thermostat is probability not working. It is a quick fix for a pro and won't cost much.

For a list of pre-screened reputable contractors in your area, visit http://www.businessbusinesscontractors.com/Residen...

For all of your home and business contracting needs, visit http://www.businessbusinesscontractors.com