I want to install a fan in my bathroom.Do they sell fan/light combos so that i don't have to run new cable?

please help me out here. Anyone else tackled this project? I need the name of a fan product that is easy to install? The bathroom is on the first floor of a ranch so I can run the duct through the atti and out the side of the house quite easily. Is this the best idea? Or should I run it out of the attic?

please tell me the name, make, and model of a good fan to install

Favorite Answer

Please go to home depot or Lowe's and listen to the course they give on installing a bathroom fan. A lot depends on where you live as to the building codes.Your fan should be based on sq/ft of your bathroom. 60-110 cfm should work for the average 6x8 bathroom

The short answer is yes you can install a fan/light combo in your bathroom but here are the things you need to consider before buying a fan.

1) If you don't want to install extra wiring then you can wire the light and fan together in the fan fixture itself. When you flip the switch both light and fan will be on at the same time. (I'm guessing that you are replacing an existing ceiling light with a fan). To have them run separately you will have to install a second wall switch and wiring to the fan.

2) You need to know the size of your bathroom-- square feet of area (length X width) since fans are sold by the amount of air they move (stated in CFM) Find one that moves at least as much as the area (sq ft) of your bathroom. Brands are Nautilus, Braun, etc. but most stores have displays where you can run the fans-- look for the quietest one

3) You will need to cut a hole in the ceiling to install the fan-- most fan housings are square and are mounted to the joists in the ceiling. You won't know what size of hole to cut until you have selected the fan.

4) The best way is to vent through the roof (they sell kits for this) but make sure you flash and seal it correctly or else you will have a leak from the roof when it rains. You can also vent it through the side of the house but that requires making a 90 degree turn with the vent pipe so if that's the case then get a slightly larger fan (more CFM) to move the air out of the bathroom.

Have fun and good luck

why cant you just jumper the electric wire for the existing light over to the fan? i guess i dont understand why you want to install a new light and the fan? you would have to put a double switch in and the amps of breaker may be an issue, BUT i really doubt it unless you were using a hair dryer or something with fan and light on.....i guess i dont understand why you want to put a combo kit in especially if you are going to do the work to vent fan outside......

OH you just want to replace existing fixture with a light/fan combo fixture that vents into the attic...yeah go to hardware store and buy one. GL with it!

YOu can wire it up with just a fan or a fan/ light combo. If you are replacing an old fixture the fan light combo would be the only way to go it you don't want to run additional wires.

yes they do make combo fan light even heaters check with your local home center ie home depot etc you will have to cut a bigger hole in your bathroom ceiling tho and you can vent it into the attic but tho the roof is better using a vent pipe happy cutting

Source(s): Master Electrican 20 years

yes they sell them as a combo unit and some even have heaters built into them they are all pretty much close to the same it is just gonna go on your personal preference what one you like and wanna use