Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 1 decade ago

My optic nerves and discs are 4 times too big. Only 22 years old, "glaucoma suspect" What does this mean?

Favorite Answer

glaucoma suspect means that since your optic disc is large the doctor suspects that you could develop glaucoma,and he will be keeping a close watch on your eye pressures and on the appearence of your optic nerves your ophthalmologist uses various visual field tests, along with verifying if there is any family history to determine if you actually have glaucoma. you should,if you have not already, have a peripheral vision test, scan of the optic nerve and photos of the disc along with monitoring of your intraocular pressure the doctor will determine if you have true glaucoma which can occur at any age. if glaucoma is diagnosed you will be prescribed drops and will need to be seen every few months for pressure checks,, some people with your symptoms never actually develop the disease... good luck

Source(s): ophthalmology nurse

It means that sometime in your life you can end up with full blown glaucoma.

Right now your doctor should be seeing you maybe about 2 times a yr to check your IOP (intra-ocular pressure), and doing an OCT and Humphrey Visual Field test once a yr, along with a pachymetry in the beginning of your treatment.

The tolerable ranges for IOP's are all different, it is when your eye starts to show damage from the increased IOP that your diagnosis will likely go to glaucoma, and there are several types. A regimen of drops should be started at that time and you will probably see the doctor more frequently until he/she starts to see an acceptable decrease of your IOP after the drops have been started.

My mom went for yrs as a glaucoma suspect, AKA ocular hypertension, until she was actually diagnosed with glaucoma, and I myself have been having my pressures monitors for almost 3 yrs now as mine are a bit higher than the norm as well.

Source(s): Work in Ophthalmology field