Constant Thirst?

Hi. I'm a 21 year old woman, and I'm thirsty all the time. I am not pregnant, and relatively healthy. Except that I am thirsty all the time. I am never seen without a bottle of water. I drink anything I can and nothing seems to help. Even right after I take a sip, I'm still thirsty. I also get small crumbs and apple peel stuck in my throat when I eat, and I was wondering if this was related. What can I do to quench my thirst?

Favorite Answer

First thought is diabetes, which can be dangerous, but it could be several things. Go ahead and go in for a checkup for your peace of mind.

I'm not sure if there is a real good way to stop being thirsty, but not thinking about water may help. I do not see how having apple peels stick to your throat can be related to your thirst, however, I have been wrong before. I dont know how long this has been going on but if it just started then it may be caused by dry weather or possibly some kind of sickness you picked up but if it has happened your whole life then I'm not sur there is a great way to stop it.

Constant thirst is one of the most common symptoms of diabetes, so the very first thing you need to do is rule that out. There is also a pretty common complaint of dry mouth, but that is usually associated with side-effects from certain drugs.

The thirst thing is a bit worrying, however. You really need to see your doc, and get your blood sugar tested and be tested for diabetes. It's a lot easier to get a handle on the disease if it is diagnosed early. The longer it goes undiagnosed and treated, the worse it gets.

Please make an appointment with your doctor to be screened for diabetes as soon as possible. If that comes up negative, then you can discuss your symptoms with him or her and get ideas on the cause and possible treatments. But rule out the serious condition first.

Is it like your throat is always dry.. if its like that then you and me probably have the same problem you should go see a doctor about it... As for right now i guess all you can keep doing is drinking water and gatorade and stuff cuz thats what i do and it helps a little

Besides the possibility of diabetes, do you breathe through your mouth most of the time? My step son has sinus problems, so he breathes through his mouth alot, which causes him to drink around the clock. He too, chokes on his food at first, because his throat is so dry. Check with your doctor, of course, this is just a suggestion.

It could be a few things. Diabetes is the first thing. Another thing it could be is Sjogren's syndrome which causes dry eyes and mouth. If you continue to have trouble swallowing, I would also consider Barrett's esophagus.

Sounds like diabetes.

See your doctor, and make sure it is not diabetes

Have your blood sugar tested,