why does my air condition in my car air gets less colder while idle than driving on highway?

when im on the highway doing atleast 60 - 70mph, the air is nice and cold but while im idle in park, the cold air that used to be goes less colder, like i have just air blowing with no coldness. whats going on there... do i need freeon,(how ever u spell it)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

the problem is not enough air going thru the condenser, usually in front of the radiator, fan might not be working. more freon is not the answer. fan may be clutch or electric. by default electric turn on when ac is on, if not check fan and or relay, if clutch, it may not spin due to bad clutch. pop the hood start the car and turn ac on and check fan.that will be the only problem. when driving on highway you are forcing air thru the condenser thats why it works. fan forces air thru condenser at idle

• 1 decade ago

because when you are driving your engine is running at a higher speed and the compressor for you ac is running better and there is more airflow running over your cooling coils at idle there is less air blowing in over the coils and the compressor is not being ran as hard

• 1 decade ago

Your AC is powered by a compressor, which spins at a speed directly related to the RPM of your engine. When you're going down the freeway at, say, 3,000 RPM, the A/C compressor is compressing a lot of air. When you're idling at around 700 it's barely working.

• Jake
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Because when your on the highway air is blowing on the condeser, making it colder, thus making the A/C colder

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.