Do you think is possible to feel love for a cartoon character?

ok i know that sounds kinda weird sine its only a cartoon, but what i mean is do you think the personality and history of the character could make the audience feel love for that character.

Because i hear people saying all the time, i like that character or i hate that character.

ok so including all characters in general, from books, movies, etc.

Ty to those who have answered and to those who will answer in the future (hopefully)

• Bren J
    Favorite Answer

Haha! Umm, no. Love is something entirely different. I do beleive that you can feel compassion for a cartoon character, a certain "person" with a lovable personality. This combined with your admiration for the anatomy and the drawing, you can come up with a very strong feeling of like for it, but, a cartoon character is just a drawing and you can't really fall in love with a drawing any more than you can fall in love with your pet fish.

hmm i understand what Michael and Ben J are saying and i guess there right to a degree. You can relate to aspects of the character or you feel admiration or distaste for components of the character. This will make you hate or like the him or her.

But how much can you relate, dislike or admire before you feel?

Michael Kelly gave a good example were people felt emotions in relation to a character dying.

Now we also know kids are more effected by what they see then adults or teens are, so its seems normal that they would cry when a likable character dies.

But we all know adults and teens can also be seriously effected by what they see. ( like people crying while watching the titanic movie, or feeling adrenaline or fear while watching a horror movie. )

So if what we watch can bring out so much emotion in us, how long before a different sort of emotion comes out....

Understandably it would not be love in the sense of the love that exists between two lovers or a mother and her child. But who is to say that the character and everything that is connected to that character could not bring us to feel some sense of love. Because there is so many different varieties of love.

Who knows? Maybe the character is just symbolic to something that our souls are reaching out for and thus making us feel or making us think we feel a certain way about him or her.

Source(s): My source is my mind... and the effect certain series have brought upon it. Like Neon Genesis Evangelion, i have never felt more for any character then i have in this series.

Yes, if you didn't like or dislike the character what joy would there be in watching the show or reading the book?

You're supposed to feel something for the character. Say, heartbreak for the tragic past, or adoration for the hero. Or you might just like the cute, funny character.

• Gayle

Find a character cute or funny? Sure. To fall in love with and propose to it? uhhhh, NO. A healthy admiration is just fine!

Why not? A lot of people love the clowns. Kind of hard to have a relationship with a paper cutout.

Yes. I've been in love with Jessica Rabbit for years now.

JK. My vote would be no, not in the sense you're using it in your question. You can identify with parts of them, be attracted to their traits, but there cannot be human attachment in the same sense as with a living person.

Hello,

I guess so. I remember so many kids crying in the theatre when I was a kid after Bambi's mother was shot by the hunters.

Michael

Maybe, my grandson loves Roger Rabbits girlfriend.

I used to have a crush on Ernie from Sesame Street when I was little.

for sure... that's the job of the writer.. to make the character lovable.. or to make you despise it depending on that character's role in the movie :) me for instance... i love Jack Skellington!!! yes yesss