Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

this is for all the nonbelievers?

if the bible is as you say, not true and god is not real, then nobody gets hurt, but if it is real, then you have no code of ethics to live by and you will have to go to hell... any thoughts?

drink up kids... I'm celebrating my ascention to level 3!

• Moxie!
    Favorite Answer

*drink*...hey, I'm in level 3 too.

• Don P

I understand your point, and I will assume that you are asking a sincere question, not just parroting this old argument against disbelief in God, or belief in any other religion than Christianity (they will go to Hell to, according to John 14:4-6). It is not very original, and not a very good argument either. People have been using this argument since the middle ages, at least. It makes no more sense than saying that God's existence is proven by the fact that the Bible says so.

What if we rephrase that question? Let's try...

"This is for all the believers... If the Bible is true, as you say, you may go to Heaven and we may go to hell. But if the Bible is not true, and there is no afterlife, then you will have wasted your entire lives and gained nothing... Any thoughts?"

The argument I just made is just as logical and as valid as the one you asked about in your question, isn't it? The point is, neither one of those arguments proves anything, nor does either one provide a reasonable or compelling reason to believe either way.

• .

1.) Pascal's Wager is just silly - you can't use a factor that is a matter of faith as a determining component of an equation. Plus it is based on the existance of hell and that unbelivers go there when they died...there is no proof of that.

2.) Show me ONE place in the Bible where is says that unbelievers go to hell...it may say they die, without hope of heaven or resurrection, but it says they go to Sheol...the common grave...literally a grave, not hell.

3.)It is utterly foolish to suppose that you must be religious to have morals...Hitler was Christian and he certainly did not live a good and moral life.

4.) Or is this a trick question so that all the atheists can have a drink because someone brought Pascal and the 'atheists have no morals' thing?

Regards,

The Peaceful Atheist.

• *drinks*

I'm starting to despise you for that bit of writing Blaise (I can call you Blaise, can't I Mr. Pascal?...), it has singlehandedly cost me more in consumption of booze due to obligatory drinking games than any other philosophical work....

Anyway, interestingly enough, Christians face just as many possibilities of being wrong as atheists, and you are wrong to assume that atheists have no codes of ethics, but I won't even get into that... What if we convert to Christianity and it turns out that the gnostics are correct and we are worshiping a flawed creator who screwed us over by taking us out of the divine creation?... Then we're stuck in a lower existance because of this worship?....

Plus, even if you wanted to because it was beneficial to you, could you honestly just change everything you believe at will?... It isn't doable without a good argument for the belief itself, so why bother with this question?...

Hmm I get what you're saying, if we're wrong we burn in hell, if you're wrong, no harm done, right? How very, very wrong you are. What about the Crusades, the inquisition, 9/11? People have killed in the name of religion throughout history. Millions of people have died, for the simple reason that they dared to worship differently than someone else. Still think religion is harmless?

"Nobody gets hurt"?

Are you kidding?

I’ll let Thomas Jefferson handle this one:

• “The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. “

• "Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned”

• "Religions are all alike – founded upon fables and mythologies."

• "I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

• "Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."

Non-believers are just as capable of having morals and knowing right from wrong as those who do believe in god.

It is not right to generalize everyone due to the actions of a few people

I don't believe in your "god". Your god has screwed things up enough. I believe in myself, and the fact that by working hard enough in all my lives, I can achieve my way to enlightenment, with only a little divine supervision. Your heaven has got to be pretty crowded, what with everyone who accepts jesus into their hearts getting in. In my heaven, you actually have to be a good person through and throught to get in, or you get a redo.

Plus, my priests don't go raping little boys.

The old Pascale thingymajig again?

You cannot claim to be on the moral high ground simply because we do not share the same beliefs, your reasoning is simplistically one sided and to be honest people are getting hurt!

Remember the Crusades? How many atheists ever started a war to convert people by killing them. Whether they believed in God or not, aren't they going to hell for breaking the commandment "Thou shalt not kill"?

• madcat

Well, I will comment, that I know both athiest and Christians, and the athiests seem to be much more ethical and moral than the Christians.