do you really need a passport to go to Canada now?

i used to go every year and just take my drivers licence I heard you need a passport now that's bs I'll go somewhere else i guess

Favorite Answer

I never cease to be amazed at the totally erroneous information given here. The new passport law is called the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and you can read it for yourself at the website below. It states that passports are needed now to FLY to Canada, They will not be needed to drive until Jan. 2008. Right now you need your certified birth certificate and a picture I.D....same as it has been for years. Will need a passport starting next year so you can go to the 2nd website to read how to apply for a passport. Have a great time

If you are a US or Canadian citizen you DO NOT NEED a passport to cross a land or maritime border into Canada. You will need a passport starting next year, but this is something that has been initiated by the US government, so Canada has to follow suit. If we let you in next year without a valid US passport (if we were to just accept your birth cert and photo ID) you will not be able to get back into the US because you will not be able to prove your citizenship to the satisfaction of US immigration officials at the border. They will turn you away and we (Canada) will be stuck with you.

why don't you just get a passport????

I can't seem to understand why people don't have passports here in Canada/States.

• Ben

yeah ya do!! it blows! i live in Buffalo and you need one to cross the peace bridge now. i use to go over there all the time to see the falls or to go out to eat. now my family and i really dont bother.

yes you do! I know it sucks.