How old were you when you first understood, “Racism,” and what does the term mean to you now?

Favorite Answer

I don't know my exact age but I know I was very young (maybe 6 or 7) because my parents had a real problem with the Hmong community in the area I live in. They would say alot of really bad things about them and they didn't even know any of them personally. I think this is why I am so against racism now. It sounded bad back then and even worse now that I've grown up and seen some of the results of racist comments and actions.

Racism to me is when any race berates another race based on how they look or act in general. It is silly to apply the bad actions of one person to an entire race just because they have the same skin color or come from the same area of the world.

When we think of racism, we think of white people picking on black people. Things have turned around quite a bit... I find strong prejudice and racism among many blacks in the United States of America. And the excuse is that today's person is guilty for yesterday's person...based on skin color. If it's wrong, shouldn't it be wrong both ways? And while we are at it, what about fat people or people who don't look good or people who are supposedly "less." Face it, people are prejudiced because people are inherently wicked. So says the God of Heaven. You can focus on white black but it rears it's head in other ways.

• about 7 or 8 probably when learning about mlk

what i have learned since then, I am 24, is that racism has a spectrum and is a lot more than just overt hatred. almost everyone has some racist tendencies. we have to learn what they are so we can deal with them logically

I've known for as long as I can remember. Racism is ... undescribable to me. I don't believe in it and I don't participate in it.

I consider Racism to also count hating a person based solely on their religion as well. As I have no idea what to call that. Religionism? O.o

• Liesel

I've always understood it. I'm white and I grew up on the border. One side of the family is extremely racist (I can still remember my grandfather using the "N" word like it was a normal, un-offensive word), while the other side is extremely open-minded.

when I was around 7 years old, and was with my mom at Sears. I wanted a drink of water from the water fountain, and my mom made sure I drank from the one for white people. There was a seperate one for colored people. I was so puzzled. Made no sense to me. I think we have come a long way.

Racism is just another way for humans to hate each other which feeds satan....All he wants to do is take over the world...Fuel......

I was 4 my parents had a big impact on me to love and respect everybody no matter who and what they where we lived in a multi-racial neighborhood (mostly blacks) and I allways thought everyone as the same as I am. People who are racist are just jealous of the people they are racist towards.

when i was eight my parents had to explain it to me because i called my dad the n-word. (i had no idea what it meant at the time, of course.) but they got all silent and serious about it, and so i knew it must be a REALLY bad thing to say because any other time i used a nasty word they simply yelled "EXCUSE me?!" until i apologized, they didn't sit me down to "have a talk."

• Abby

My parents are Caucasian and adopted my sister and me from Korea so we never really talked about racism but I first experienced racism when I was 12. Although, I probably heard low key racism or "political correctness" around the age of 9, 10, or 11 but just didn't know it.

Source(s): Korea American girl