Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

How to make your parents feel better about getting old?

My dad is turning 50 and I can tell he is very sad cause I saw tears in his eyes when he got a whole bunch of gag gifts and I cant tell people not to get them for him.How do I make him feel better?

Favorite Answer

50 is not old! Walk with him and excercise. tell him he is kewl. Be with him a lot and do things he thinks is fun. Make sure your parents know that 50 is not the end of the world. I am 44 and I can not wait!

There is nothing wrong with feeling a little bad about turning 50. I have a to go yet, but trust me. Every major milestone...30, 40, 50...does not feel too great. Nice of you wanting to cheer your Dad up, but I don't think there is anything you can do about helping him feel better about getting older. HOWEVER, what you can do is help him take his mind off of it. Help him not to dwell on it. Etc. Whenever you see him starting to feel sad, ask him if he could help you with some homework, play ball in the backyard, etc. Trust me. Someone your age can not relate to what it feels like to hit those milestones...though god willing, someday you will. The best thing you can do for him is remind him that you need him without TELLING him you are trying to cheer him up. Just don't let him dwell on his age and the sadness will pass.

• dad

Have a younger woman flirt with him im 51 and it works for me. How do you know he wasn't just happy because he made it to be 50 i know i was amazed and trust me life gets better after 50 for a man because you doesn't have to play all the young games anymore

Turning 50 tends to make a person think of how far they've come in life and wonder how much further they will go. you know what your dad likes, you've been his child for quite awhile, maybe you could take him some place that he took you to let him know how much you appreciate him. relive a happy time together, it isn't always presents that lets a person know you love them.It's knowing that you trully care.

Just be yourself. Children keep people young. Your dad will get over being 50, just give him a while. My daughters tell me all the time how "such and such really looks old but you don't". I don't believe them much, but its really fun that you will always be young to your kids.

Tell him that he looks 20. Be as kind as posible.

and when he gets the gifts say "What a funny joke", so he knows it is just a joke.

well, i would get him a ticket for a cruise, tell him 50 is an age where you get to enjoy life the most, and tell him he is young!

tell him he looks good for his age.

tell him the older the wiser.

tell him 50 is young.

etc.

It's nice that worry about your dad.... show him you care about him.

I have people around me who are on their 60's and they don't feel old.