I am 10 weeks pregnant and my doctor gave me tylenol 3's for my headaches.. Will they hurt my baby?

I have bad headaches everyday and tylenol doesn't work..

Favorite Answer

I had terrible headaches while pregnant. Knowing what damage aspirin could do day by day on a fetus from reading the studies I would not take anything. What if they don't know what codeine can to to a fetus? I think you should just lie down. [it a hot towel on your head and face and tough it out. If your baby is born with deformities you will forever feel guilty and forever be guilty. They don't test on pregnant women so your best bet is lay off. Tylenol (without codeine) in the only thing that for sure will not cause fetal defects.

• Nisi

Tylenol or Acetaminophen isn't going to hurt your baby. I just wouldn't over do it with the pills as with any medicine. Aspirin in pregnancy is something you should avoid and things like NyQuil and anything with alcohol in it. Don't worry I have had lots of headaches with my pregnancy (migraines). I used to have to get shots for them which would be the only thing to get rid of them.

If doctors weren't sure what the effects of codeine would be they wouldn't give it to pregnant women. I have had it w/ all my pregnancies and my kids are healthy and happy.

The best pill I had gotten was the Tylenol w/ codeine they really worked and actually knocked me out, but my headaches were mostly good. They can be addicting but if you got them your doctor can explain more.

You and your baby should be fine I wouldn't worry.

Source(s): 5th ob/gyn med student and 26 wks preg w/ previous pregnancies.

I had that same problem during my last two pregnancies the Dr. thought maybe baby was sitting on a nerve. In any case I ended up on it thought the whole pregnancy The babies were totally fine and the headaches went away the day they were born. They are 9 and 7 now and still just fine.

Sinus headaches are common during pregnancy. Pregnancy caused me so many allergy problems that caused a lot of sinus problems including headaches. I even had my Eustachian tube clog up during one of my pregnancies with horrible jaw pain all caused from my sinus cavity. I took a guafenicin pill ( like Robitussin in pill form) and felt great in a week. You need to see your OB and tell them your problem. Have them really check you out to find out the real problem so you can feel better. Codeine isn't really great in your first trimester. The baby is in it's most important developmental stage and you really shouldn't take anything. I know it's hard but you just have to deal with it. I get migraines and couldn't take my meds for it. I now have 4 great kids. Good luck to you.

I had the worst cold/flu at 4 weeks and Tylenol was the only thing I took (it was recommended by the doc). It's actually rated relatively safe for the fetus. If you go to safe-fetus.com, you can look up any medication and it rates how safe or not safe it is for pregnancy.

tylenol 3 is ok just dont take them all the time take one and see how that helps your headache. also they have migraine patches that you can use you just apply it to your forehead for several hours or however long you need it and it does wonders. i swear by the patches they are great. you can also use the patches and take one tylenol 3 to ease the pain and discomfort of your headache. good luck.

Source(s): mommy of three girls.

i would say no they wont hurt the baby...but did you tell them you are pregnant?!? tylenol is pretty much the only pain reliever that is ok in pregnancy. tylenol 3 has codein (sp) in it so i dont know if that is ok or not.

Hey,

The doctor wouldn't have given them if it would harm your baby.

Or if the doctor doesn't know your pregnant then I suggest you ring the office and ask the nurse!

tylenol (r) and codeine are ok for the baby...the tylenol is ok, but the codeine may make you constipated....please drink more fluids and eat more veggies/fibre

Source(s): er doc

If it was your ob that prescribed them to you they should be fine for you and your baby and if it wasn't the doctor should have known that you are pregnant, so I think it should be fine.