mgm_5 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

my newborn puppy?

my newborn puppy was given to me b/c it's mom was killing them, it's been 14 days and the puppy still hasn't opened it's eyes. is there anything i can do?! is this bad?

Update:

i'm not asking u for ur opinion how i'm doing! so keep ur rude comments to urself! maybe u should call ur vet and get ur manners check!

Update 2:

thanks every one for getting that rude person deleted! and thx for ur help, i wish i could choose u all as best answer, i will take her to a vet even if she does open her eyes just to make sure she's okay! : )

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I have a litter of puppies here that are 16 days old and their eyes have just now really opened. Sometimes when you have to bottle feed any animal their development is a little bit slower just because we can't always do the normal things the mother does. Obviously you know that if any more serious problems arise to contact a vet. But this is what I would suggest. Since the mother is constantly licking and cleaning them make sure you have a warm, damp cloth to do the same thing. Lightly wipe the eyes, belly, and genital area to stimulate peeing, pooping, proper food digestion, and keeping moisture on the eyes lids. This may help with your babies eyes to open. If your puppy's eyes haven't opened by 3 weeks of age I would then take it in. But just keep on doing what you are doing. It just takes time for them to develop.

Source(s): Remeber they are just like us. Nobody in this world grows, matures, and develops at the same rate. Every thing develops differently. Just have patience and enjoy you new little baby.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your pup's eyes will open soon. Some take longer than others, and even good breeders can get antsy for them to open, as this was a topic of discussion recently on the sheltie list. :-) Don't let people give you a tough time for having your young puppy. Some don't bother to read the details. I'm glad you are taking on the big responsibility of this poor pup to save it from it's mother. If you've managed to keep it going this long, you're doing well. My suggestion is to socialize your pup well when it is old enough to make training easier. Good luck!

Source(s): Rescuer, vet tech, groomer, and show exhibitor of Shetland sheepdogs
  • 1 decade ago

Take your new puppy to your vet for a examination, to make sure everything is ok, and for your own peace of mind, and for instructions on what to do for your puppy. Congradulations on your new puppy and for saving a helpless little life. Best Wishes and God Bless you both!

• 1 decade ago

Wait a day or two and then if he doesn't open his eyes, take him to the vet. You might want to try a warm compress or a wipe to simulate the mother licking the puppy. Do NOT force his eyes open, he will open them when he's ready.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

completely normal! but...this puppies life depends on you. you MUST feed it like on the hour i think it is with warm milk and must be weaighing it DAILY to make sure that it is gaining weaight daily...even if it is only a couple of ounces its a REALLY good sign. DO NOT FORGET TO KEEP IT WARM!!! and honestly...i went to this one site its a beagle breeder in new jersey (sp?) and she/he really seems to know what they are doing!! the site is

http://www.newjerseybeagles.net/page/page/814883.h...

and her email is on the site. email her ASAP because i am no breeder and i dont exactly know what a puppy that young needs! seriosly and honestly for the puppy just give her/him an email and they will help! but keep in mind....if you do not do everything exactly like a mother dog would...that puppy WILL NOT SURVIVE. and it would be heartbrakeing if you killed a puppy on accedent because you did not know what to do!!

• Definately ask the vet. They will give you the advice you will need to look after a newborn.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It should happen pretty soon. You really should see the vet though. Hand raising puppies is tricky business and it can easily die. They are extremely fragile.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If the pup seems healthy and is growing, and there is no goop in them, don't rush anything.

EDIT

Seriously!!!

Rude!!

She obviously didn't read the question. Idiot!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Feed it milk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.