Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 1 decade ago

Do people Answer questions on Yahoo Answers..........?

...more for the purpose of sharing their observations and knowledge with people who might be helped by them, or for the purpose of self aggrandizing themselves ?

I see a great deal of the later and some of the former, but which do you think is more prevalent here?

Recently someone posted a "question" of whether they should or shouldn't be proud of reaching 100 "best answers." Obviously this was a thinly veiled attempt to embroider their own efforts with the praise and allocades of others.

Is yahoo answers more a platform where narcissists can momentarily satiate their hungry egos through self-golification and acclaim from others,or a place where individuals can aid people in gaining insights and information to solve their own quandaries ?

Whoops!

Looks like a typo got by me.

That should read GLORIFICATION, not golification.

Luckily, my question didn't bruise anyone's ego so badly that they took it personally and felt the need to pinpoint and harp on this little error.

Glad to see all your great responses and to know that none of you are so patio....

whoops, there I go again....

I meant petty.

Favorite Answer

my mom promised to make spaghetti on Thursday.

No..no, we can't answer or reply to the question :/

I answer question in hopes of helping someone through a tough time. Have the time to share my thoughts, and it is a good way of keeping my mind fresh and finding out what people really worry about. Do not expect to gain anything by the answers, but hope that someone gains from the things I answer.

Even when someone knowledgeable attempts to impart their wisdom, there could also be an ego boost for him/her. But is that so bad? There can be many reasons to be here-some good some less so. I occasionally answer just to add some comic relief, sometimes to present a side of an issue that may have been overlooked. A bigger issue to me are the hateful attitudes here. I don't care whose egos are being stroked as long as they aren't harming anyone.

I couldn't help but laugh at this question! it does seem like there are mostly narcissists on this site. but I don't blame them. alot of people on this site feed their egos instead of giving good advice. I don't, however, condemn the occasional comment or question looking for extolment. alot of people also have low self esteem or are having a bad day and want someone to give them a boost. I don't know what's going on in their life so I don't usually jump on their case. I think I've told you before, Frankly Speaking, I do believe the world is becoming a very selfish, self-absorbed place. and, though, each of us can make a difference in our lives and impact those around us. the world has already picked it's direction. and, though yahoo answers is only a small thing in this world, it is still evidence of the larger picture. it is still evidence of what is in the hearts of men today. I, for one, choose to impact those around me, even those on this internet site, in the most positive way I can. because, if we aren't trying to help anyone else in this world, only ourselves, what purpose do we have?

I dont answer questions for the points. I enjoy sharing whatever knowledge or experience I have aquired over my 70 years. When I get a positive response from someone I've helped, it makes me feel as though retirement isnt so bad after all.

if your purpose is to get the highest best answer then you'll only answer the questions you are sure about, hence is the purpose of the whole answers concept, besides its a good way to get many angles on the issues other people have, as in see how can there be so many other ways to see a problem and answer it than yours, and add to that the things you said and that is pretty much why I log on yahoo answers

• teri

They say that the one with the mouth open is the one with the problem...I think your question is self prophetic and that you are describing yourself...most people are on here cause its interesting and hoping to help someone out...and we are tired of not getting an answer, just a pill...

this is a place where people can say what they are thinking and booo to someone like you who just wants to be critical...

I personally like answering questions and gaining point for good answers (strictly as a game).

But yeah, there are a few megalomaniacs with delusions of grandeur in need of a fix on here.

well for me answeing in yahoo answers is not the purpose of reaching any sort of level , i answer only when i think i can do some help to some one and as i think the whole matter in this world is only give and take , i dont want mine answer to be best but i would always appreciate best answer for my question.

I'm DEFINITELY into "self-gollification" myself. The world would be a much better place with more gollifiers in it. Gollifiers galumphing their way up the glorified ladder of Yahoo Answers gollification are clearly God's gift to the golly-gee-whiz-less. LOL

Edit: I've noticed in my life that how little is the size of a man's sense of humor is in direct correlation to how little is the size of a man's peni . .oops! I meant "pencil" : )