What are your thoughts about this?

An abortion after finding out the fetus has abnormalities, such as Down's, disfigurations of the fetus by sonograms or amniocentisis?

• Candy
    Favorite Answer

1-tests have been known to be wrong

2-aborting a child for that reason is robbing the world of knowing some of the sweetest most caring people in it

3-if one person can't handle the care and resposiblity that comes with a special needs child doesn't mean that there is not someone out there who would jump at the chance to have that child as their own

This is why I have opted not to have testing(other then ultrasound) done during any of my pregnancies. Whether my child comes to me healthy or with a disablity it is my child all the same and I have made the decision to love and care for it no matter what.

Source(s): Mother of 2 soon to be 3

Wow, that's a toughy. Personally I think it depends on what that couple can handle, if you can't handle it ... I don't believe in abortions, but at the same time I would not want a child to have to suffer living such a life. I don't blame a couple for deciding to want to terminate that pregnancy given such circumstances, but if it were me, i'd probably go on and have the child and then give him/her up for adoption. it's really hard to say, because i don't think anyone deserves to live a life that way.

You need to do what you feel is best. You dont know how you could handle a situation until you are in it. If a child is found to have abnormalities, what kind of world do you perceive this to be where the child would be able to be viewed as normal? As much as we would all like to think that way, it is not the case. If you feel you would not be able to care fully, for whatever reason, for this child, I dont think anyone should be able to say that you have to keep a child. Abortion is an open option for each mother to be and the choice is there for you if you decide.

In cases like the abnormalities or disfigurations im for it sometimes, it depends on what it is. downs is not that bad. some couples go for the abortion because they would not want to have their child go through life or half of their lives with a disability and have people calling them names, such as retard, that is the worst word. i hate that word. my 6 year old was born with microcephaly, small brain/head. she is 6 years old doing more than the drs ever thought she would but she is slow. she cant talk. she cant do normal things but i still love her. the dr knew ahead of time she was gonna be born this way but didnt tell my husband and i. we found out the day i had her. i was so upset and thinking what did i do to my baby. at 2 she was also diagnosed with cerebal palsy. she can have seizures but hasnt. but as the days go by we deal with it and we thank god that we have our precious little angel.

Source(s): mommy of three girls.

I am okay with abortions if something like this has occured or if they are early on enough that the fetus would not be able to live in the long run because the pregnancy is so early on.

Just do what YOU think is right

Wow! I think it's horrible. A person shouldn't kill there fetus just because they don't want a child with downs. I personally think abortion in itself is horrible. But then again you have to think, if you don't have the money to pay for all the medical bills that come with it then I guess I can't blame the person. They're just looking out for the best. I still think it's wrong though. Very selfish. That's just my opinion.

I wouldn't like it in Down syndrome cases since I know a little boy with Down syndrome and he's an absolute sweetheart. But if you're dealing with an anomaly so severe that the baby simply isn't going to make it, then abortion would just hasten the inevitable...

i think that's what a lot of couples do. Some cant handle the situation and abort. If it ever happened to me, I would be terrified to abort. But it also calls for discussion with the spouse and docs for other options.

It's a personal decision. I think one has to look at their situation and will they be able to provide for that child? One will have to provide for that child for the rest of their lives and even after they are gone - will you have the resources to do so?

• If you are refering to the AB blood test, then I strongly dissagree. I had that done with my 1st one and was told that she would have downs and my Doc tried to sway me that way. I am sooooo glad that I didn't. My child was healthy and still is. There is a reason why Dr.'s call it a "practice"