What exactly is it that makes MCR/FOB/PATD so popular?

I honestly think it's just hype. Really--they're not THAT good.

But that's just my opinion.

What do you think...

• këlly
    Favorite Answer

Well as far as Fall Out Boy goes, I don't really know because I don't know more than a few of their songs. And I like Panic! because they have a lot of un-ordinary instruments in their music, which I think is cool. And MCR inspires a lot of kids that are going through tough times because they have a good message in their music.

...And thank you for not making the question dumb and asking something along the lines of, "Why the **** do MCR, FOB, and PATD suck so bad, I mean they're killing rock music!! God I hate them, who's with me??!!?!?!"

Well if you got right down to it, NONE of the bands out today are any good. They all sound exactly the same, all play the same notes and rhytms and such on guitar and drums, none have an original sound, etc. But it's all we have to choose from. It's either bands like the ones you mentioned that are still "rock" or this hip-hop stuff that all sounds the same too. I like both genres so I'm not picking on either but really, we don't have much to choose from, it's all a copy of a copy of a copy. The 70's and 80's had the real rockers. The orignal guitar sounds. The type where you heard the guitar and KNEW what band it was playing. There was a lot of flashy stuff like hair bands but besides all that thats the time when rock was rock and it was more original and they attempted being cool instead of this wussy stuff now, if guys now existed as they are in the 70's or 80's, they'd have their a** beat every day for looking the way they do. And it's funny because I'm not even being bias about it, I listen to P!ATD and FOB and like a lot of their songs but compared to old stuff, it's all rubbish so it's not as if I'm speaking from a point of view as just not liking those bands, I'm balanced with it. =]

These bands seem to have more abstract lyrics. For example..."rain drops on roses/ and girls in white dresses/ and sleeping with roaches/ and taking back guesses." - PATD. How many other main stream bands do you hear with that kind of imagery. They just seem to be able to throw words together that when put into conext...make sense in a different way. What I see a lot of is these sort of bands that started out underground, not very popular in mainstream music, that typically a certain subculture likes to listen too...when the bands become mainstream and successful...the first subculture abandons the band because they are "nonconformists" who try to be different on purpose. Not saying it's bad to be different...but if that's all it's about is to be different...then they're on the route to a lonely life. I'm just saying, if you like something, truly, then like it. Don't rebuke it just because others like it and you want to be different...because somewhere out there, hundreds of others are doing the same thing.

people like patd because the concerts are more of a show. they have dancing and stuff.

personally, i think FOB is AMAZING because there songs are catchy and have a good beat.

i'm not crazy about MCR but, i think it's all just personal opinion

also, unless you have heard a lot of their songs, you dont have a good picture of their music. the songs they play on the radio arnt the bands best song (especially true for PATD)

The lyrics to their music is catchy, and also very meaningful. If u listen 2 their album, u will c that there is a meaning behind every song.

The tune/rhythm to their songs r also AWESUM!

MCR, FOB, P!ATD, AFI, ROX!!!

XD

I totally agree with "My Bloody Romance".

He/She is exactly right about MCR.

and Fall Out Boy have some nice tracks, honestly.

MCR really have true meaning in their songs, they just don't blab and rhyme up words which don't make sense unlike other bands!!!!!

P!ATD have sorta unique music, music u don't hear everyday which i really like!!!

I honestly think all three are amazing. Their music is so great to listen to especially MCR!!

they all suck live

and i really dont know why their so popular

maybe because FOB and PATD have catchy songs

and MCR is really emo

They're all emo. And annoyingly enough, thats the only reason they're popular. I can't wait until the emo period is over. Its so boring. Glam was an interesting era! Now that was real music, and everyone truly was unique.

It's different for people that like them.