Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Why do young women say "like" in every sentence?

Did I, like, miss something?

Favorite Answer

well like it isn't like all of them, ya know. Only like some do. We used to like call them like valley girls, but like now there like isn't even a valley. It is like cool I guess.

I want to like punch my self in like the mouth for like talking like this.

It's certainly not only young women who do this, and it's one of the things that really grate on the nerves. What's worse is to hear young males being interviewed on the news, or sports news, and 95% of them, says "yeah" in mid-sentence, and more often than not it follows "no" - "no - yeah"!! Now THAT is speech challenged!

Not just young women as in teenagers say it. My sister is in her 40's and totally annoys me with that word.....

• me

I say "like" in like, every sentence and I am not a young women.

EDIT: What's the point in giving me a thumbs down? I'm only stating a fact!? I too say "like" in every sentence.

I find that both young males and females use the word "like" equally, frequently. My supposition is that they have not, "like", made an effort in increase their ability to be "like", articulate.

I've heard that it's like so like annoying, I'm young I don't say that.

Women are complicated and confusing people.

i like charming's answer. i just say they are dumb and need a swift kick in the teeth!!

im guessing they don't choose to speak proper but who does right

i am attempting to correct my daughters speech.

currently she appears to be overwhelmed by the exuberance of her own verbosity.