Wisdom Herbs asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Any tips on building a play stand for a cockatiel?

material, what to put it toghether with..etc? I'm not much of a builder.

Favorite Answer

I personally used a pesticide free water oak from my backyard to make a stand. The tree was olfdand dead and had to be removed, so I took a large branch and make a "tree." I then used an old car jack to fasten the bottom to something heavy to keep it from tipping with my birds weight. I hung toys, treat cups, a rope perche, wooden ladders, a swing, and even a boing from the tree and my birds went nutso! Mine looks similar to the first link below.

To make your own gym, you can use anything bird safe to construct it. Make sure it has many different perching surfaces to keep the bird's feet well exercised! Make sure the pieces are all fastened securely together using rope such as sisal rope which is safe for birds to chew.

The second link takes you to a website with NUMEROUS ideas for homemade playgyms. :)

I made a neat playstand for my three birds (I have caiques, not cockatiels) using one of those indoor clothes dryers -- the wooden ones that fold out. You can get them from WalMart for about $5 or $6. I wrapped all the dowels in supreme cotton rope so they can get a better grip, and hang their toys all over it. I also fixed places on it to put food dishes.

Just buy one theres no need to go through all this. Foster and Smith is a good place to buy playstands. They have about 20 playstand styles.

i bought a set of wood pieces that can be attached in different ways to make playgrounds for my tiels, it was cheaper that a playground, it's made for the top of the cage. i can't remember where i got it, but look in a bird store near you.

I agree with Jessica S.

If your not much of a builder, then just buy one.

use wood