Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How much do labs shed and are they really bad for allergy sufferers?

I know dogs shed, but I keep hearing different information about just how much a black lab will shed? Some people say just a little and some people say a lot. Also, I know that hair length and amount of shedding doesn't really affect allergies, but I was wondering how labs are for people with allergies? I heard they shed their skin (dander) more often than other dogs and this makes them highly allergenic. (Please don't tell me to get a labradoodle)

Favorite Answer

Labs aren't good for allergy sufferers. On top of shedding, they are a water dog, their coats have a certain amount of oil too. Labradoodles can be horrible, stay away from the designer/hybrids.

If you have allergies it might be best to stay away from dogs entirely unless you plan to go with the shots and medicines. Allergies can develop over time.

There are no hypoallergenic dogs. Anyone who tells you that has never taken a toddler to ER at 3am because they can't breathe or seen an older dog dumped at a shelter because they couldn't handle it anymore.

Source(s): Dog Rescue Director.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I know dogs shed, but I keep hearing different information about just how much a black lab will shed? Some people say just a little and some people say a lot. Also, I know that hair length and amount of shedding doesn't really affect allergies, but I was wondering how labs are for people with...

Source(s): labs shed bad allergy sufferers: https://shortly.im/pgY8c

Our Labrador died early this Spring. She had been with us 12 years. Our two youngest children, and me, are allergic to dogs. (Gone through the shots etc...)

Even without the dog we have our allergies so having her was not a question for us. (We're also allergic to trees and grass, not like you can get away from all allergens).

Our lab shed a lot. We would get her groomed/ brush her, but she still shed. The hairs collected more in her bed than the kind that floats in the air. I think they must be heavier hair. There was always dog hair on the floor when you swept the kitchen/bath, and it always filled the vacuum.

Cleaning up after a pet that has become part of your family is a small chore when you love the animal. It is well worth the effort.

Labs make EXCELLENT pets.

All animals have dander and it's what causes allergies. Most dogs shed and yes labs do. Keep them well brushed and the house vacuumed (if you let them inside) quite often. We have allergies and a dog. It's a little bit of work, but it's worth it. And no I won't mention a labradoodle (dumb breed). The only true dog that is non-allergenic is the poodle ~ pure bred, not mixed.

The amount a dog sheds is all dependent on you as a owner. If you want a lab, but you are afraid you may be allergic, you can live with one...you just have to do alot of grooming. Bathing and brushing your dog frequently will help cut down on the dander. You can bathe your dog frequently...I know some people think you shouldn't bathe them often, but as long as you use a good shampoo and conditioner made for dogs, you will be alright. I showed dogs for many years and I was bathing my dogs at least once a week and I never had any dry skin problems. So, you can get your lab...you just may need to do alot of grooming to have him around. I also read that many people are allergic to their pets, but even with the advice of their doctors, they don't get rid of them...they learn to live with them because they love them so much!

Again (and again, and again) - allergies are from the dander from the dog's skin and protein's in the dog's saliva and urine - and ALL dogs have skin, saliva and urine. It is sometimes a matter of individual dogs not triggering allergies, as we found out with a child in the family, she is allergic to some dogs in a breed, not others in the same breed. Key is to spend several hours with a dog you are interested in, rub your face in the dog's coat, play with it - that way you will know whether that particular dog triggers your allergies or not. In her case, the trigger for her allergies seems to be from the dogs who have particularly oily skin, doesn't mean that will be the same in your case. Good luck - but I had a long hair chihuahua years ago, absolutely adorable (if somewhat demented), and he definitely triggered allergies in a family member at that time. By the way -- there is absolutely NO such thing as a "hypo allergenic" dog, just doesn't exist. That's a hype by byb and puppy millers trying to sell you their dogs, often mixes like "labradoodles", and unfortunately too many clueless people believe the nonsense.

• cale

Do Labradors Shed

They shed a lot! Tons in the summer and they even shed in the winter. It might effect someone who has severe allergies.

I have a choc lab. I sweep every day! If you brush him frequently with a "de-shedder" brush (not a regular dog brush) then it will lessen the amount. If you're allergic to dog dander, then the only dog for you is a poodle! They don't shed.

Yess they shed a lot. But they are fine for allergies.