Cingular or AT&T users Help please?

I know I must have hit the wrong combination of keys or something but now whenever I try to text whole words appear instead of letters. Please help me to turn off this function. 10 points to the first person to give me the magic solution. Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What you are talking about is called, T9 or "Predictive Texting"

Since you did not specify what brand of phone you have, here are numerous ones;

Heres how to turn it off;

LG

Turning On/Off Predictive Text

While in Write Message, press # to switch among modes. Predictive text is T9.

Entering a Message

Type your word using one keystroke per letter.

If word shown is the one you want, press 0 (zero) to accept and add space.

If word is not the one you want, press the arrow key to scroll through alternate words. Press 0 (zero) to accept and add space.

If intended word is still not found, select Spell and add it by using the ABC (triple-tap) mode. Press Save to use word and to add it to the dictionary.

To add punctuation, press 1 and then *. To add a number, press and hold the desired number key.

Motorola

While in message screen, press Menu key and select Entry Method to switch among modes. Predictive text is iTAP.

Entering a Message

When you have entered all the letters of the word, highlight the word you want at the bottom of the screen.

Press Select or * to insert the highlighted word into your message. A space is automatically inserted after the word.

If your word is not found, delete letters until you see the letter combination that matches the start of your word. Highlight this combination, then continue entering letters and highlighting combinations. When you see your word, press Select or * to accept and add it to the dictionary.

To add punctuation, press 1 or 0 to display various symbols.

Nokia

While in Write Message screen, press # to switch among modes. Predictive text is T9.

Entering a Message

If word shown is the one you want, press 0 (zero) to accept and add space.

If word is not the one you want, press * to scroll through alternate words. Press 0 (zero) to accept and add space.

If intended word is still not found, select Spell and add it by using the ABC (triple-tap) mode. Press Save to use word and to add it to the dictionary.

To add punctuation, press 1 and then *. To add a number, press and hold the desired number key.

Samsung

While in message screen, press the up arrow to switch among modes. Predictive text is T9.

Entering a Message

If word shown is the one you want, press # to accept and add space.

If word is not the one you want, press the up arrow to turn off predictive text and enter the word using the ABC (triple-tap) mode.

Once the word is found, press # to accept and add space. Press the up arrow to turn predictive text back on.

To add punctuation, press and hold 1 until the symbol menu is displayed.

Siemens

While in message screen, press # to switch among modes. Predictive text is T9abc or T9ABC.

Entering a Message

If word shown is the one you want, press 1 or the arrow key to accept and add space.

If word is not the one you want, move cursor left or right under word is highlighted.

Select "123" symbol at bottom right of phone screen to see alternatives. Accept a word by pressing 1 or the arrow key.

If intended word is still not found, select Spell and add it by using the ABC (triple-tap) mode. Press Save to use word and to add it to dictionary.

To add punctuation, briefly press * and select desired symbol.

Sony Ericsson

While in message screen, press * to switch among modes.

Entering a Message

If word shown is the one you want, press 1 or # to accept and add space.

If intended word is not found, select Options and Spell or Edit Word. Press and hold Clear (C) button to remove word. Type new word using the ABC (triple-tap) mode and press Insert (or Yes). Word will be added to dictionary.

To add punctuation, press * to see symbol selection.

Source(s): cingular.com
  • 1 decade ago

It depends on your phone. You can go to the Cingular/AT&T website and see if they have an online manual for your particular phone. Mine will do that, too, but the instructions for turning it off on mine may be different from yours.

I have a Nokia 6102i and I can turn off the "help text activation" under the Phone Settings menu.

• 1 decade ago

Cingular was just bought out by AT&T so they are making major changes, I would call ATT&T and tell them your problem

and maybe they can resolve the problem.

Sincerely yours,

Fred M. Hunter

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.