J S
J S asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Did Hairspray really need to be remade? Did John Waters authorize this?

Yes, this Hairspray movie IS a remake of the original movie, not the musical. The original John Waters Hairspray movie is from 1988. The Hairspray musical premiered in 2002.

Favorite Answer

It absolutely didn't need to be remade. The "old" one is hardly even old, and it's stylized to the era anyway, so what's the difference? I don't see how they're offering us anything new.

This not exactly a remake. This is a film of "Hairspray: The Musical" a broadway show. John Waters was barely involved in this movie but was definitely aware and did agree to it.

Well, it's the movie version of the Broadway play, which is based on Waters' (awesome) movie.

Yes, he completely authorized it. He is even one of the producers on the film. He loves the musical, which also received his blessing.

well i have never seen either but i wouldnt watch a rikki lake movie ether

and the new one trailer looks so boring and bad i nearly barfed into my popcorn

I don't think so but I think they are running out of Idea's. That pretty sad I didn't care for the first one.

Tell me about it - why do they have the need to remake all the classics?

i dont know if it had to be remade but i think it looks good.

i have no idea....i never even thought of that!!

i dont think so...

i think it will be realy retarded!!!!