I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle the tow rating is 2000 Ibs I want to tow a boat that weighs 2800 Ibs?

Can I increase the towing capacity?

Favorite Answer

Alright, well considering no one actually answered your real question. Then i will. Yes you can always increase you towing compacity. But some of the ways which would be recomended are a little expensive but in the long run will save you money if you are goin to rent trucks for everytime you bring your boat out on the water. Alright, the first way is to get a stronger transmission. (Sources listed below). Another thing to do is to get a chip for your car, this will improve not just your horsepower but also the main thing needed to pull which is torque. Im basically sayin that if you fdont want to get another truck or rent a truck then just upgrade your cars engine and tranny.

Source(s): jcwhitney.com autozone.com summitracing.com

2006 Ford Explorer Towing Capacity

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avQGe

Do not tow while in 4x4 low, except for getting off the ramp if needed. The I6 is a strong motor with lots of low-end torque, and should have no issues towing 2000# for short trips. However if you value the life of your 42RE transmission you should add an auxiliary transmission cooler. Your ATF does go through the radiator for some protection -Aux cooler is added downstream of the radiator for additional cooling. Pls consider Class IV/V hitch. Issue with Class II/III is it only uses 4 bolts where higher Class will use 6 bolts -remember that's not frame but unibody under a Jeep. edit: Assuming 2000# is with trailer, gas & equipment.

I would say NO. The tow capacity given is based on what the car can safely do. This is considering every aspect of the car. Such as brakes, transmission BIG ONE THERE ON THE TRANS, engine, body design. There is a lot of things to consider when figuring how many pounds a car/truck can pull Safely. BUT if there was a good spot to install a REESE hitch, 800lbs might not be too much more to expect. I would not think for a minuet that insurance will cover you if anything would happen. You need to consider that too! liability is a big issue.

I am assuming that you have the CVT automatic transmission.. If that is the case I would not try to tow anything. These transmissions are not made to tow. I wish you had a new 08 Taurus X (same as a Freestyle) with the new 3.5 engine and the new 6 speed automatic transmission that you could "lock" in a lower gear for towing...

I work at a recycling bisiness driving a 1998 Toyota 4 cylinder with a trailer with a capacity of 2000 lbs. Because of all the glass I had to haul I surpassed that by 700 lbs to almost 1000 lbs for two years. Never had a problem with the truck yet. Of course we took very good care of the truck. Just be careful, don't drive it like you would normally.

Source(s): Personal exerience.

I am a Ford Transmission technician and I highly advise that you do not tow with this vehicle. The transmission can not handle the load and will overheat and fail. Your best solution is to borrow or rent a truck from a Rental car company when you plan on using your boat.

Source(s): Me, Ford Technician

Ratings are for safety. If pulling on a flat surface, no hills or similar, with care it can be done, but remember going over the ratings is not rercommended, there is a little problem, breaking with extra weight is harder, what you are towing is moving at the same speed, but pushes , does not brake.

I wouldn't if I was you that's 800 pounds more and then the weight inside the car makes everything heavier.

well i think u should use a class 4 hitch and u do just fine , remember to take it out of over drive when towing.