Why do followers of Islam try best to eat with their right hands and mention Allah's name before dining?

I've recently perused an article on a Canadian magazine, the Today's Parenting, regarding dining etiquette of cultures from around the globe. It stated that, "[I]n Islamic countries... one must [always bear in mind to] mention Allah's name at least once before eating, and the right hand is used to bring one's food to the mouth (because the left [though not necessarily forbidden] was reserved for toilet activities & the like, and it is offensively & stunningly rude to eat with the left [hand] so."

I am no expert on this matter & I wish to know where does this practices originate, whether in the Torah or just common muslim habits of doing so. Again, I have only read this article from a magazine, it does not contain any influencial opinions on my behalf. Let me state that I am not a muslim, and I have no intentions of offending such -- I only wish to learn about their practices. Please refrain from rude, insulting & uneccessary remarks / comments. Thank you for your understanding

Pardon me, I've forgotten what volume & issue / date number of the magazine in question.

Oh my goodness, yes! I meant the Koran (Q'uran)! Please forgive me for the typo. ^_^

To "Don Giovanni" --> have you not understood what I've bluntly stated? Please keep rude, uncessary remarks to yourself. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

When a man ate with his left hand in the presence of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, he told him: “Eat with your right hand.” (Reported by Muslim)

The Hadith above encourages us to teach proper manners of eating to a person who fails to abide by Islamic ethics of eating. Besides, eating and drinking with left hand is the habit of the Satan; this is clarified by the following Hadith: “When any one of you eats, let him eat with his right hand, and when he drinks, let him drink with his right hand, because the Satan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.” (Reported by Muslim).

It is true that in Islam it is highly recommended for us to use our right hand while doing things such as eating, drinking, dressing, and writing, and to use the left hand for acts such as cleaning ourselves after defecation.

Please visit source of answer.

Agree with nobody on the right hand matter. Food is indeed gift from God and should be honoured in appropriate manner.

As for mentioning the name of God (Allah), it is a practice of a Muslim to start everything we do (not just dining) with Bismillah (In the name of God) as a tradition of our Holy Prophet.

Its a shame you have to apologize so much when asking a question about Islam, the extremists have finally proven that no one messes with Allah. *sigh*. Anyway I've never heard of any of that in the Torah, but I do know that they wipe their asses with their left hand so I suppose it is kind of rude to eat with it.

Because the food they eat is given by Allah and they only were saying their appreciation. The right hand symbolizes God.

I know Muslims eat with their right hands because they wipe their *** with the left one.

The claim about hands is quite correct. I do not recall seeing mention of the practice in the Qur'an, but it is standard practice in Arabia. I cannot say from my own knowledge about speaking of Allah.

um you mean the Koran. The Torah belongs to the Jews and we wipe our *** with whichever hand we want =)

If Muslims eat with their right hand, and wipe their butts with their left hand, which hand do they use to masturbate?

i think it's because they wipe with their left hand and it is considered dirty