Is it OK to give a 6 pound, 3 month old puppy to a young couple with an 8 month old baby?

I feel that the Mom already has her hands full with a baby still in diapers and that she may not fully understand the enormous time and work it takes to train a puppy. Also, the dog will only grow to be about 12 pounds and I am not sure, by that time, a one to two year old will know how to be gentle around a small dog.

Additional Details

I feel it is the mother's job to be concerned with the baby's welfare and it is my concern to place this puppy in a safe environment.

Dances With Unicorns, you are ignorant in every sense of the word. I'm nosy because I don't want the baby bit or the dog neglected or accidentally hurt. Find another hobby besides trolling the internet. Your input is useless.

Favorite Answer

Trust your gut because truly it is difficult to take care of a child and a puppy at the same time almost like having twins. The Mom may not realize what she is getting into and really if you are a breeder looking to give your dog a good home I would trust yourself on this one. The mom might be upset you choose against her but it also might be the difference between the pound and a good loving home that really gives the puppy the time and attention it needs.

this is a so-so question. It can be that the puppy wont get the attention it needs. But it is a great environment too. Many people say that it is not. But first off, the dog will be around a baby and they will get along and grow together. The dog will realize that the baby is a baby. I have seen aggressive dogs lick and lay beside a baby but want to chomp off an adults hand. Dogs usually understand. The dog will grow up in this environment and be great around kids and other people. The dog wont be too needy either and there will be less of anxiety problems not being around people. Many people say not to give a puppy to a mother with a baby , and i thought that also before, but after seeing so many of my friends and family bring a dog in their life with a baby i changed my mind. In the end, it is your choice. :) good luck

• My daughter just had a baby 4 months ago, she had a puppy and a 2 year old dog and it has been so hard for her taking care of them and the baby! They need alot of attention same as the baby, but the baby comes first of course but that's not fare to the pups! We love animals so we always had dogs but she said if she was to do it again she would have waited on the dogs till my grandson was older! So I do agree with you!

I understand where you are coming from as a owner of a 3 dogs that are12 lb ,but i think as long as the couple that wants this puppy are in deed going to give it a good home,then let them have it. I have a nephew who is 10 months old who comes over and when our puppy(that just turned a year) sees him she gets all excited. she is always trying to lick his face and play with him. my nephew finds this fun and wants to play back. as long as they teach the baby no pulling hair and no hitting(which my nephew is learning) then the puppy will be fine. its better to teach the child young,and the two of them are bound to have a wonderful friendship.

Just as I would not want to surprise a boy friend with a baby, I would not want to surprise any one with a dog. This is such a personal decision that it is always an inappropriate gift. The future dog owners must make this decision.

Yeh it'll be alright. As long as it's not an aggressive or jumpy dog. What kind of dog is it? I hope ts not a pitbull cause they aggressive.

i think you may have already answered your question. If you dont feel right placing the puppy with that family then dont do it

it doesn't sound like a good idea to me...doesn't the baby keep her busy enough? puppies are so time consuming, and demanding...just like babies

I definitely wouldn't make that placement. That's a disaster in the making.

Source(s): I volunteer on weekends at our local humane society.

no because babies don't really know to be gentle and neither do puppies