scraggycat asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Pet food recall: I don't know what to feed my cat.?

What do I feed them? I have been giving them 9 lives wet food.

It says on their website that it is not affected. BUT!!!: Del monte foods (makes 9 lives) was supposed to be 100% 'safe'; but now they've come up with this: http://www.delmonte.com/petfoodrecall.html

I don't want to get up one day and have them say their wet food is infected too. (which is what has been happening with all other brands)

Food you get at the vet isn't great either. I don't know what to feed them.

Is Whiskas 100% best?

PLEASE HELP.

Favorite Answer

The only way you can be ABSOLUTELY sure is to feed them raw/organic food. BUT, It can be really expensive and time consuming. I would suggest using a brand such as Avoderm or any other brand that is only made with natural, organic product. Not only will your cat feel so much better, it will put you at ease knowing that they have never had a recall and it is such high quality, they most likely never will.

I know Exactly how you feel, because I feel the same.

I do not, maybe will never trust commercial brand pet foods again. "sad to say the least"...

I tried to do my homework on this. I wanted something safe, Natural as I could get, Nutrisious. I went with Eagle Pac Holistic. Costs a little more but is suppose to be a good brand of pet food. My Siamese Kitten is doing well on it so far. Look at the Lables. (first 3-4 Ingredients) tells you what is the main use in the food. Don't use any brand that has Corn, by products, Un natural perservatives, Grains. Anything Natural, or Organic should be fine. Good luck. God bless

Source(s): Eagle Pac Holistic.com

Whiskas is crap, don't feed your cat that food! Look at the labels- you want meat as the first ingredient, Wellness, Science Diet, Evo, Innova- I don't feed Iams because of the recall, but it's better than Whiskas. Don't use 9 lives, either- these foods are all filler, like corn, because it's cheap. Spend the extra buck and don't go the the supermarket. Go to pet shops where the employees might be knowledgable. You have a better shot with premium foods. I used to feed Iams, until the recall, and cats were healthy but because of it I refuse to buy their food. (You can't scare the daylights out of me and retain my business, sorry!) I know, this is horrible.

Source(s): Reading labels- feed kitty stuff that sounds like food.

Feed Your Pet Meow Mix And It'll Be Fine.contact me at vanna_213@yahoo.com

try to start them on dry food, and give wet food only as a treat. my cats like purina naturals, and fancy feast elegant medleys as a treat. stay away from whiskas & del monte. most healthfood stores also carry organic petfood, which is what my cats are beeing switched to now, i don't take any chances.

Source(s): 3 cats

Use Purina...None of Purinas products are on the recall list because they test their foods before sending anything out. I like Purina Pro Plan the best and my cat loves it, but any Purina products are good.

EDIT: Some people are saying Meow Mix, but every time I feed my cat the Meow Mix in the wet pouches he throws it up.

Use Purina - go to www.purina.com - they had NO cat food recalls. They make Friskies and other brands. My cats prefer friskies.

There is nothing wrong with whiskas it is ok. I give my cat Purina and she has had no problems. this whole recall is not over yet. I still check up on it. I hope this will help.

I adore Royal Canin

wellness wet and dry foods are really good for cats.. a little on the expensive side.. but saves in the vet bill