iluvshrks5720 asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

how do i get my horse to stand still and square for halter classes?

the last couple shows ive shown my horse in, he wouldnt stand still in the halter classes. he also tossed his head around and wouldnt stand square. how do i train him to behave and stand nice?

• Favorite Answer

To chucky5050 - you don't ride in halter classes, dumb@$$

If your horse is a nervous sort it is going to take lots of mock classes (or the real thing) to get him used to it. The main thing he must learn is "whoa," and that when you say it you mean "freeze until further notice - period!" This you can practice every time you handle him. Always act like you're in a class when you handle him, in the way you hold the lead, and everything you do. Make him practice whoa in the crossties, in his stall, at the arena gate - constantly. Set him up every time you stop him, until it becomes second nature. Then make him hold it for 5 seconds, then 10, then 30. Pretty quick he will stand as long as you ask him, too. Once you get the whoa down, then he will be easier to set up. Again, practice every time you get him out. If your show lead has a chain make sure you practice with it ( and the halter, too - he may toss his head because it feels strange or stiff to him to him.) Don't ever punish him with the chain or he will just get more nervous, so don't get into him with it if he isn't doing what you wish right away. A chain is more for looks, really, than any other purpose. It is like spurs to a really broke horse - just a brush with them gets a response if the training is there. A broke halter horse is no different than a broke riding horse - just keep practicing (first the whoa, then the setup) until it comes easily!

Rocky hit it right on the head. It takes time and practice. And practice just like you would in the ring. Step around him and say whoa (a lot). Have someone else pretend to be the judge and walk around him. This will help him get used to the movements you and the judge are making. I love the little open shows for this reason. I can go and for about $8 a class, train all I want in the show enviroment. My horse learns that he has to behave in the show ring as well as at home. More than likely, he also picked up on you being nervous. A lot of times, you can be picking at your horse and not even realize it. One of my best friends used to get her mare mega keyed up because she got in the ring and then nitpicked the mare to death. She would move feet and reposition her until the mare got fed up and tossed a fit. Sometimes it is better to let your horse maybe stand a little off square and be still, than try for a perfect square up when you are first starting out. This reinforces the "be still" concept. And once they get that down, squaring up and standing still comes way easier. Good Luck!

Source(s): Horse Owner for 35 years. Showed multiple World Champion halter horses.

Practice in a small enclosed arena at first. At shows he is probably excited by all of the horses and craziness going on outside of the showing ring. So start by just teaching him to stand still alone in a ring. He may be getting bored. If you can try to move the lead a little bit so he keeps paying attention. Try this with more horses from your stable and on a busy day at your stable. Then do it in a few warm up rings at a show

Good Luck!

Practice with him at home. Teach him that when you say whoa you mean stand still a stop all movement. Start by moving off a few steps and stop. Turn to him and say whoa. Move around him at his sides or have someone walk around him. If he moves put him back in the same spot and say whoa. He will get the idea pretty fast.

Next practice with another horse around. That way there is a distraction and he will have to concetrate on you more. This is where I had a little trouble with my colt but he got the idea that he was supposed to watch me.

Then start squaring him up. Move off and stop your horse. Usually one of his hind legs is already where itshould be. Lightly pull on your shank to adjust his other hind leg. He may go to far forward or back but give him time. He will figure out where it should go. Then on to the front. I never use my hands and pick up their feet to place them. I use my feet. Adjust the left foot by putting your toe with a little pressure just on the hair line and keep in there till he places it where you want it. I will also use my hand on his shoulder and push a little to get his weight off of his left and to let him know that is the one we are working on placing. Then after he has it in place tell him whoa and go to the other side and repeat. Once he is set up give him a pat and another whoa. I don't make them stand for very long at first and move on to set up again. Then you can start with someone walking around him and then another horse. Just remember that he needs to know that when you say whoa he should stop moving and listen to you.

I had my first show in May with my colt and he did great and this is how we practiced. He squared up with no trouble and stood there after I said whoa and didn't move a single foot. Some of the horses were dancing around and wouldn't stand still long enough to square up. I practice with him about two weeks before a show every day and he does great.

work hard every day and on the way to the stall and corral stop your horse because it took me 2 months 2 teach a very well trained horse 2 do it and sooner or later u will win in the horse show!!

Source(s): my self experience

Bribery and ask him poiltely!