Pitfall Harry asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

What do you do if you find a small bird abandoned or lost without its mother or a nest?

It has feathers, doesn't seem to have any injuries, but doesn't seem to be able to stand for long.

Favorite Answer

You leave it right where you found it. If it has most of its feathers, it is a fledgling. Baby birds fledge (leave the nest) several days before they can fly. They hop around on the ground and climb low branches until their wings are strong enough for flight. Mom and dad continue feeding the fledglings until they are self-sufficient.

If you are absolutley convinced that it is injured or orphaned, contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. You can find one here: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Do not attempt to care for the bird yourself. It is illegal without the proper permits.

Source(s): former volunteer - Avian Rehabilitation Center

Leave it alone! If it has feathers then it's old enought to eat little bugs that pass. It will learn to fly on its own when its ready. I tried saving a small bird and it just died on me two weeks later. I then got this advice to leave it and will have an 80% chance of living. I feel so bad for that poor bird still.

I know a lot of people say leave it where you find it... which in some cases can be best. BUT if you do pick it up keep it in a warm dark area and call around to local vets to find out which ones take wild life... a lot of them deal with wild life rehabilitation clubs and you can just drop it off with them.

just because it's small, doesn't mean it young. I saw a cockatiel outside that was abandoned and was stuck in a tree for a week. there was no nest or anything. I took her in, and raised her. she was 10 when she passed away.

I've had this happen 3 times in my life. All 3 times I tried to tend for them. I failed all 3 times. Listen to "margecutter". leave it alone. What happens ..happens. Nature takes it's course.

sometimes justleave it for half an hour or a hour to see if the mum comes back or take it in and ring animal protrction

• ER

call animal control

Give it to the cat.

help it find a home