Pitfall Harry asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

What do you do if you find a small bird abandoned or lost without its mother or a nest?

It has feathers, doesn't seem to have any injuries, but doesn't seem to be able to stand for long.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You leave it right where you found it. If it has most of its feathers, it is a fledgling. Baby birds fledge (leave the nest) several days before they can fly. They hop around on the ground and climb low branches until their wings are strong enough for flight. Mom and dad continue feeding the fledglings until they are self-sufficient.

If you are absolutley convinced that it is injured or orphaned, contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. You can find one here: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Do not attempt to care for the bird yourself. It is illegal without the proper permits.

Source(s): former volunteer - Avian Rehabilitation Center
  • 1 decade ago

Leave it alone! If it has feathers then it's old enought to eat little bugs that pass. It will learn to fly on its own when its ready. I tried saving a small bird and it just died on me two weeks later. I then got this advice to leave it and will have an 80% chance of living. I feel so bad for that poor bird still.

• 1 decade ago

I know a lot of people say leave it where you find it... which in some cases can be best. BUT if you do pick it up keep it in a warm dark area and call around to local vets to find out which ones take wild life... a lot of them deal with wild life rehabilitation clubs and you can just drop it off with them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

just because it's small, doesn't mean it young. I saw a cockatiel outside that was abandoned and was stuck in a tree for a week. there was no nest or anything. I took her in, and raised her. she was 10 when she passed away.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I've had this happen 3 times in my life. All 3 times I tried to tend for them. I failed all 3 times. Listen to "margecutter". leave it alone. What happens ..happens. Nature takes it's course.

• 1 decade ago

sometimes justleave it for half an hour or a hour to see if the mum comes back or take it in and ring animal protrction

• ER
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

call animal control

• 1 decade ago

Give it to the cat.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

help it find a home

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.