Heidi
Heidi asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Vegetarian/Vegan Tattoos?

Anyone here have any tattoos related to their veganism, or vegetarianism? I've been wanting to get a tattoo for a long time, but never had strong enough feelings for one thing. Now I feel that I do, and it reflects my lifestyle as well. I'm aware that I have to look out for vegan inks. Anyone have any pictures or ideas to share?

*waits for the backlash*

I'm not 12, buddy, "peer pressure" isn't even in my vocabulary. How dare you be so presumptuous?

Favorite Answer

I have two large separate flowers with a vine intertwined ( about 6 inches or so currently ) .. flowers to represent beauty and life .. you can easily add to the vine as time passes and continue the vine in any direction /up /down / wrap around ..etc .. maybe you will want to continue it at some future date with animals .. words .. or do more to it now ! .. it is very easy to do that with a flowing tatoo ..without a definite beginning or end .. I have never regretted it but also chose a place where only those I wish to can see it .. LOL .. there is nothing wrong with letting it show .. as with everything it is a matter of taste .. It is a hard choice because it is so permanent so think about where as well as what ..good luck ..

Source(s): Vegan Forever

Like all of the other questions that start with "What do veg*ns think of..." there is no answer to this question that could possibly represent the entirety of the veg*n community. We are individuals and we hold individual opinions on a wide variety of subjects. I happen to be a tattooed vegan. I got my three tattoos as a vegetarian and didn't give any thought to whether or not the ink was vegan. If I get another, I will specify vegan ink. I think, at it's best, tattoo is an art form (of course, some tattoos suck.) I've seen several tattoos that were meant to signify that the bearer was veg*n. I've seen people with the Vegan Society's V/sunflower symbol, people with PeTA's rabbit symbol, people with the word 'vegan,' and people with less direct ones (one guy who posts on a vegan forum I belong to has a sleeve in progress that is all vegetables.)

Look into the ancient New Zealand symbol for growth. It's really quite beautiful.

OR

design your own, as an amalgam of the things you find most important in life (not just veganism, but everything). You may find that your vegan beliefs are rooted in something that strikes far deeper in your being, and that getting a tattoo of that deeper root will be a more accurate representation of what you stand for, and a permanent reminder to yourself and those you love to appreciate the things that resonate clearest and with the highest virbration you have ever expeienced. Think about it ... the more you are reminded of your highest vibration, the more chance there is of experiencing that, and the more chance you have of finding an even higher vibration. This process is the essence of growth, which is why I recommend option A.

If you don't like it, the first and most important part of the amalgam creation you decide to design could be the spiral, which has very deeply rooted symbolism that goes back to the caveman era tens of thousands of years ago.

There is more going on here than asthetic beauty. Every image means much more than it appears to be at first glance, and although language is superlatively clear to the reader, that is as far as it goes. Language is possibly the shallowest form of tattoo, with a simple, basic meaning and no confusion. The flaw is that compared to an image, language is rather plain, even if done calligraphically.

Again I warn you: There is MUCH more going on than you may understand regarding the business of being tattooed, and since this decision is for the rest of your natural life I'm sure you would want to get it perfect.

BE CAREFUL, TAKE YOUR TIME, TALK TO MANY, MANY PEOPLE, AND GET IT RIGHT!!

Go to a good parlour and talk to a reputable tattoo artist. I used to go get tattoos that were just whatever, then I met a really great tattoo artist and told her what I was interested in and that i was having a hard time deciding. She had a few ideas and when I thought 'yeah that's something i'd like' she'd draw up her own thing and show it to me. It was original and not off some picture from the wall or sticker or cartoon character or anything like that. Be picky and don't settle for whatever. It is something that you will have to live with for a long time (unless you have it laser removed and I had that done once-it was horrible, imagine hot oil being poured on your skin) so make sure when you look at the design he or she draws up for you it makes you say "THAT'S IT!!!!"

I think it's something you should do - my only tattoo is the Greek symbol Pi, because I became obsessed with the number, & knew I had to do it. Remember to go to a recommended tattoo parlour - either by a friend, or by more official means.

I know a vegan who had a bunch of carrots tattooed on her ankle - it's coloured, so it looks funky - with 'vegan' in black underneath, so it's just at the top of her ankle bone. About 2-2.5inches big. Carrots were the only veg she ate as a kid you see!

I would say to think about what in your veg*anism is most important/ meaningful to you and get a design that is symbolic of that ideal.

That way it is more a part of who you are than a symbol or logo. :)

Also, try to get one that works with the natural curves of your body.

EDIT- Also, I am not sure how you feel about words, but it could be cool to get your favorite veg*an quote tattooed.

LIKE

"To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of man. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous. And that is the unpardonable crime."

Romain Rolland, author, Nobel Prize 1915

OR

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."

Thomas Edison

http://choices.cs.uiuc.edu/~f-kon/vegetarian.html

On a side note, one of my favorite veg shirts has a dog sitting on a plate next to a knife and fork and it says, "Why not? You eat other animals don't you?"

http://www.veganstore.com/shirts,-stickers,-etc./s...

I am not saying you should use someone's T-shirt design, as I feel tattoos should be personal; however, I see nothing wrong with looking around at them and at veg websites for inspiration.

Source(s): I am all kinds of tattooed :) http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-GXLd3H0hc6klMFe3HeG...

Wow, many of those responses were real lame.

I totally know a chick with a vegan tattoo and I myself even have a "vegan" tattoo. The weird part is we both waited till our 2nd year vegan anniversary (I don't know if you celebrate those, but i sure as hell do). I only met this chick a few months ago, so it sure as hell was a crazy coincidence that we both waited till our 2nd year anniversaries to get it done. We both have "vegan" tattoo across our wrists. Her's is on her right arm facing down, for others to read, while mine is on my left arm, facing myself, as to always remind me. well here is a picture of it.

Hope this helps.

I'm not much for tattoos, but I saw this girl's hands on the Vegan Cupcakes blog a while back and though her fingers were awfully cute...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/453676278_3eba3...

Vegan&Proud, is that you?

These people are from Linkin Park. I thought I'd show you this because It's all about making decisions. Mike Shinoda, the emcee of the band, talks about why he didn't get tattoos. Just to help you in your decision, I think you should watch this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5965674365...

• ?

no backlash here, my friend. I personally would not get a tattoo, but if you want one go for it. i have no idea about what you should get, but i would love a picture of your final choice. my only advise. don't go small. make a statement. Have a great time choosing. Hugs Kuka