Can a hacker be tracked?

Someone sent emails using my account. I believe I was too careless with my PW. Would it be possible to track them?

Favorite Answer

There is an entire field of study called computer forensics that deals with figuring out exactly what happened to systems and who did it, much like a police forensics unit can figure out of a particular bullet came out of a particular gun. Like others have said, it's time consuming and expensive however. Most big companies take the perspective that they'd rather protect and preserve their data than figure out who attempted to break into it, so if they have to choose between getting back online and "preserving the crime scene", they often get their stuff back up and running.

In a case of being too careless with your PW... well, you were careless with it. Would you even have an idea where to start from there in tracking it down?

At this point, change your password. Pick something hard for others to guess, but easy for you to remember. My best tip for picking a good password; pick some numbers that are meaningful to you (a date, address, whatever), then hold down the shift key while typing them in on the top of your keyboard. 1987 becomes !(*& for instance; much, much harder for some to crack that password, but still pretty easy for you to remember. Just also remember to change it here and there, and don't re-use the same password over and over!

Yes they can be tracked, but probably not from your end. Either you would have to get one of those forged emails or talk with your ISP.

But don't worry about it, change your PW and move on.

HTH

Yes, possibly...but expensive, time consuming and difficult. Most hackers are actually caught when they brag to other "hackers". The hacker community is constantly being infiltrated by law enforcement and security agencies for just that reason. It's usually much easier, faster and less expensive to find them in this manner.