How do I replace a sound card for a laptop?

I think it needs to be replaced, but Im not 100% sure. Anyway, if I were to get it replaced.. is it possible? And if so, where? The place I bought it from is out of business now.. I hope im not screwed..

Favorite Answer

One option is to buy a sound card that slips into your laptop's pc slot. They have them at amazon.com $179. This will be a huge improvement especially if you use external speakers.

If it's a name brand laptop you can go to their website and usually download some diagnostic software and test the sound. Unfortunately if it is the sound card on a laptop it is usually a chip on the motherboard and the whole thing must be replaced. On the other hand there are usb external sound cards out thare that can be had and used in laptops now.

Yeah you can really change your sound card. And it's as easy as an Candy. Although this will cost you some bucks. Go out and buy an Creative Labs Extigy (the usb version of Audigy). Now install the drivers & hook it to your notebook's (laptops are obsolete products since early 90's!!! yours is an notebook) usb port. You don't need to disable your old sound card. Just set the sound jacks of your external speakers, midi, home theater to the Extigy. You get 5.1/6.1/7.1 sound. Plus you can connect your old 15-pin game-pads to it.

If you are sure the sound device is damaged, it would be cheaper to buy a PCMCIA sound card.

you cant its onboard!

Which means if its broke you cant fix it without a new motherboard and good luck you will need it!