Names of companies/organizations on resumes?

I'm curious to know if hiring managers tend to be more impressed by someone who has worked at big names, ie Microsoft, Target, Home Depot, Chevron, etc. as opposed to lesser well known companies when hiring.

I'm fully aware that other factors play into hiring, ie networking, the applicant's credentials, the interview, quality of the resume/cover letter, the atmosphere of the workplace, etc. I'm just curious to know if "names" of companies ever factor into a hiring decision.

For example, you have two applicants who have similar experiences, education, job titles, etc. One has worked at a bigger name company and the other at a less-known company. I realize that there's always the big corporation vs. the family feel business, but setting that factor aside, does name recognition ever factor into hiring? I hope this makes sense.

I'm not in this situation but am curious to know what HR staff think.

Favorite Answer

I'd like to say that big names don't make a difference, because for many positions it would actually be an advantage to come from a smaller company. Unfortunately, big names do attract attention on a resume. It's not really an HR issue, but rather a human issue.

On the HR side of things, that preference flip-flops depending on the position. Sometimes you want someone from a small company... sometimes a large. Although I think it normally plays only a very small part in the decision making process if any.

Depends on the size of the company that is receiving the resume.

While medium/large companies like to see other large company names, this may not be an advantage if you are applying at a "family" corporation. The culture/mentality is different. Small companies don't have really defined job descriptions, they are more fluid. They may not have top of the line technology. And, people who have only had experience in large companies may be uncomfortable with this.

It also can depend on the field. If you are in a technology role - having worked for a big name tech company (like Microsoft) would probably carry a lot more weight. But I can see that if you were in their Marketing department - well, you probably don't have lots of issues/experience with brand recognition.

Hope that helps!

Source(s): Years in HR.

Honestly, reading that a candidate has work in notable positions at note-worthy organizations is impressive to me, however, the other factors (length of time employed there, number of promotions, number of people supervised, how well written the resume is, the grammar and tone of the cover letter) will gage just how impressed I am and whether my impression will prompt me to invite someone for an interview.

unfortunately it does !

YOU answered your question in your post !

"One has worked at a bigger name company and the other at a less-known company"

PUT yourself in the interviewers shoes!

YOU are looking for an experienced person in

your companies field !

ONE worked at MC Donalds for 2 years as a shift manager

The Other Worked at BIG Joe's Pizza and Steaks for 5 years as a manager also

both have solid refernces both are neat clean and professional looking !

of Course The One who worked at MAC DONALDS gets the edge !

visit my site because i am following a well known internet sucess beacuse HE is where i want to BE and was where i am when he started

http://home.comcast.net/~billyzeke

i would agree that that the bigger the name the more reconizable it is to the person doing the hiring. they tend to know what the business is all about and can compare ur work relarted experience with what they are looking for for that an unknow business