What kind of car should I look for?

I have a budget of around $8,000, I would like a little car with four doors thats dependable and hopefully good on gas. Beyond that I don't really care. I would like it to be newer and with as little miles as possible but I'm more worried about it being dependable than newer. I've been all over to more car lots than I can count and I'm not finding anything. What should I be looking for?

Favorite Answer

A few more details would be useful, such as do you have to deal with winter weather ? Mostly city driving or highway ?

But no matter, here are my opinions.

You would have a difficult time beating the quality, fuel mileage, resale value etc of a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic. The newer ones also have good safety ratings and while smaller, still have decent room. My personal fav IF you have to deal with winter roads would be a Subaru Imprezza as it has the amenities of the Toyota and the Honda but also has AWD ( all wheel drive ) as well as generally a nicer car when it comes to bells and whistles.

That's my two cents worth.

Foriegn cars are the best, like toyota, Acura, Lexus. Search yahoo auto, thats how I found my car an it runs great the only thing I needed was a new battery an it was a toyota. Japanese made cars are made to not break down an if they do u wont have ( the mechanic) to take apart alot of stuff to get to it. but long as u keep the fluids up shouldnt a have a problem. My friend they drive nothing but toyotas an havent had a probelm yet. His dad had 1972 celica that still runs. Ford oh no, Fix Or Repair Daily.

Pretty much any Honda or Toyota that fits in your budget. They soundly beat the Domestics in terms of reliability and resale values. And they usually win any comparison test they are in. A 2000+ Camry or Accord would be and excellent choice. The Accord has a little more personality, but requires a little more routine maintenance. You could get a newer Civic or Corolla, just bear in mind they are a little smaller.

2002-2005 Ford Focus, great on gas.

ford focus