Dee
Dee asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

why are we all so hungry for the approval of others?

Not that I condone anti socialor psychpatic behavior, but it seems people are more concerned about what others think about them than being true to themselves

Favorite Answer

Its horrible and your absolutely right. I admire those who go against the grain and stick up for diversity. People are so overwhelmed with what others think and if they will be aproved in the eyes of others. If you are constantly trying to please everyone else when will you be able to please yourself.

Yeah, we get hooked into it because most of us make agreements early in life that it matters, when we don't realize it is really still up to us if it matters or not, it is always up to us what decisions we make. Don't let others make them for us...

Some of the worst agreements we make are things like: "Old is bad", Old people are weak", etc. then we eventually get old, and of course we panic because we have believed this lie all our lives... (Most of us "agree" there is a Hell, too,yes?)

Well, it is an agreement I no longer make, but a very hard habit to break... Most people never try...

A good book on this subject is "The four agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz

It does seem like that around here - ive noticed ppl will say anything to get a thumbs up, star or best answer when its obvious they arent being true to themselves....

In reality i have learn that there is no personal gain to be had by seekin approval of others - you just end up stressing yourself out.

Source(s): Be true to yourself and learn that other ppls approval isnt required to validate you as a person...
  • I am very true to myself. I only have to get approval from my 2 kids which is a 9 yr old girl and a 17 month old son

I honestly think that is a great question! I often wonder the same thing about myself. I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question but I am very interested in what others say.

I so agree with you...something happens in the childhood that causes us to lose confidence in ourselves and we spend the rest of our lives trying to find that confidence via the approval of others.

I have fought it for years and have almost conquered it.

• ny21tb

Peer Pressure. We all (except Smitty), long for acceptance and, a sense of belonging.

am I a Therapist? NO. but,.....I DID STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS, LAST NIGHT!

You're not speaking for me, that's for sure. I don't live my life for others approval. What you see is what you get. Don't like it? Too bad.

you are completly right- and im saying that because its true-people think that if someone doesnt like me then how can i like myself- some people need to learn how to be a little self sufficient

Thats overated. Don't worry what others think, just be happy with who you are and be strong