Is their a way to run Windows programs on ubuntu 7.04?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are several ways to run Windows program on Ubuntu. The one many people know and use is Wine. This is not an emulator per se but is an emulation layer. It emulates the Windows DLL files so applications can use them instead.

But Wine breaks down with advanced software. For this, you would do well to get an emulator. I would recommend trying VirtualBox, Win4Lin, or VMWare. VirtualBox is free for personal use. VMWare Player is available through Ubuntu. Both cost money otherwise. The most reasonably priced option is Win4Lin, but it is also not as feature-rich as VMWare. My emulator of choice is VMWare, and I have somewhere around 12 virtual machines of different configurations and different operating systems that run on it.

If you are looking into Windows programs to use an office suite, you might find this write-up helpful:

http://www.easy-ubuntu-linux.com/office-suites.htm...

• 1 decade ago

yes. you need to run the program thru a linux program called wine. it is a windows emulator that will let you run many windows programs. It doesn't work with everything but it is the best thing i know of. they have a website, an dit is free to download. it might even be offered in the ubuntu synaptic database.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yup. you can download and instal (aptget it) wine for example or the other windows emulator (i just can't remember its name right now...)

• 1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.