Elle asked in SportsRunning · 1 decade ago

Running form...I only ever feel pain in my calves during runs?

I am trying to train for cross country right now, and am really out of shape(im a sprinter), and when i run i notice that my calves are the only things ever really hurting...dont i want my thighs hurting more? for long distance and stuff? am i not running right or something? or not enough maybe(ive only been running like 2 miles a day)

And when i say pain and soreness I mean strictly DURING runs not after. I usually am not sore after runs(because im not doing enough!)

Favorite Answer

You're just running on your toes, which seeing as you're a sprinter...explains why you are doing so. Try to relax your form but don't land on your heel, but on the ball of your foot. Just find what feels good. It could just be normal soreness. It will go away. Wait until your first meet in spikes...then you're calves will be sore.

i run cross country and the most important thing is stretching before and after you run so if your calves hurt make sure to stretch them and if the pain doesn't go away ask someone who knows more about because the worst thing that can happen is you get hurt and can't run during the season so train properly

no you are running right, its just that since you are a sprinter your calves are used to using energy real quick and then having nothing left, but now you are using them for an extended time where they are not used to it and therefore burn.

you are probably running too much on the front of your foot, like your toes. do you land on it the most? well try to change that bc it can really strain your calves. try to run more flat footed, which is the way you should be running (DONT land on your heel = shin splints)

i think you should stretch more