what makes a good guitar amplifier?

my sister's bday is coming up and i want to get her a good used amp except i dont know anything about amps! someone help!

• John S
    Favorite Answer

There are a number of different types (see source). The modeling amps are very popular because of the wide variety of tones and effects. I like an all-tube amp, but if buying for my sister I would probably get a transistor or modeling amp for best reliability. If she's just going to play in the house you can get her a small amp, but if she wants to play in a band she'll need a larger, more powerful amp.

Take her down to the music store and let her play through some and see if you can find a used one of those. If not then see if there's anything there you can afford for new. If not then keep looking and tell her you'll get it for her when you find it. Do you have a Craigslist in your town? Try Ebay too....

I don't quite know the best brand, but try to find a good sized one that has a gain knob. That will allow her to play electric instead of acoustic.