Rob C asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

We're considering a 5 year old Beagle/Bassett Hound. Anyone any advice? We're concerned about house training

We're concerned about house training and behavior.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bless you for considering a rescued hound!

Beagle/Basset is an excellent choice for you. The nice thing is this dog is past the chewing and destructive stage.

There is a good chance it is housebroken. Many times they do "forget" being in rescue or a shelter, so a crate training refresher course is in order. Dogs of any age catch on very quickly.

Take your time. Sometimes it takes a while for dogs to settle in. Email me privately if I can help.

Source(s): Bloodhound Rescue Director.
  • 1 decade ago

if you havent had one.....

Temperament

The Basset Hound is sweet, gentle, devoted, peaceful and naturally well-behaved. They fit into family life well. Their temperament should always be friendly with never an indication of sharpness or viciousness. They are mild but not timid; very affectionate with its master and friendly with children. It is incapable of biting, but it may be a bit stubborn. They like to do tricks for food. It has a deep musical bark. Housebreaking is difficult, but they do well with gentle patient training and positive reinforcement. With proper training, they are obedient, but when they pick up an interesting smell, it's sometimes hard to get their attention.

Health Problems

Do not overfeed these dogs because extra weight places too great a load on the legs and spine. A problem area is possible lameness and eventual paralysis because of short legs and a heavy, long body. As they are prone to bloat, it is also wise to feed them two or three small meals a day instead of one big large meal. The dog should be kept observed for several hours after eating a large meal.

Living Conditions

The Basset hound will do okay in an apartment. They are very inactive indoors but outdoors they will run for hours in play if given the chance. They will do okay without a yard, but should be given plenty of opportunities to run and play to keep it healthy and trim.

Exercise

To keep the Basset Hound healthy, it should be given plenty of exercise, but discourage it from jumping and stressing the front legs. This breed will run and play by the hour when given the chance.

Grooming

The smooth, short-haired coat is easy to groom. Comb and brush with a firm bristle brush, and shampoo only when necessary. Wipe under the ears every week and trim toenails regularly. This breed is a constant shedder.

I think they're pretty good on house training.

hope i helped!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

my old dog beau was a beagle basset hound mix. he was also about 5 when we got him. beau was already house broken, and chances are good this dog has at least a little bit of experience in the house. have you met him? he will likely have some bad behaviors, but if you are comfortable with his personality now it will likely be ok. just start over, like you would with a puppy. since he is older though he can "hold it" once he gets it that he is supposed to go outside. i also recommend crate training.

Beau was a good dog, just very vocal :)

• 1 decade ago

Hi, even though they say you cant teach an old dog new tricks - i dont believe this is so. It may be harder but they can always learn new things. Ive got a 14 yr old chihuahua thats still learning new things we teach her. =)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

crate training works for housebreaking dogs of all ages. make sure when you aren't watching him or out of the house he is in his crate and make sure the crate isn't too big. dogs don't usually mess where they sleep. and be sure to praise, praise, praise every time it goes outside.

• 1 decade ago

what are your concerns? a 5 yr old is not old if thats what you mean

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.