Eden asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog is peeing by his foor dish?

I have a 9 month old dog. he is house trained. but i do keep a puppy pad is he has an emergency and we aren't there or something. he is a chihuahua. in ht elast two weeks. i have found puddle in front of his food bowl. why is he doing this

We have another dog. so i think your right he is marking his dish

Favorite Answer

he is saying that the food is HIS

he is marking his territory

I don't know.

But what I do know is dogs do funny things by their food & water bowls. I have Maltese dogs. One of their relatives, (cute little guy) when he drank his water or food his back legs would go up in the air. He was standing on his front paws!!

Then he started playing in the water bowl with his paws. From that he started putting toys in the water bowl. THEN he started PEEING in the water bowl.

I just wanted you to know it could be worse for you.............Maybe your dog doesn't like the brand of food you are feeding him & that is the only way he has of telling you.

Possibly marking his food as HIS. But before I assumed this was the case, I'd take him to the vet to rule out kidney or bladder infections. They are a common cause of inappropriate urination.

Source(s): Rescuer, vet tech, groomer, and show exhibitor of Shetland sheepdogs

Do you let him out to potty before he eats? Is he free eating? Maybe he doesnt like his food and says P--- on that, haha, just j/king. Things like this are frustrating to say the least. i would try making sure he goes out to potty before eating though and start there.

the puppy pad is confusing him...as long as he is house trained he will wait until you take him outside. there are enzymes in the pee. ;get some cleaner from the pet store that removes the enzymes. no matter how much you clean he can smell that and pee there again.

Source(s): dog trainer for our puppy 7 mos old