:)(: asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

Question about Japan!!?

I just found out yesterday that my neighbor returned from a business trip from Japan and that he lived there for 3yrs. And when I told him that I wanted to move there when Im older, he said that I shouldn't move there, why do you think he said that?

Favorite Answer

well, there a lot of possible reasons. maybe its just HIS opinion. perhaps he might not like the culture, the foods..ect..there a lot of things but its the matter of opinion, i love japan so who knows why.

Japan is a magnificent place. Its beautiful, culturally stimulating, and economically successful. However, living in Japan and visiting Japan are two very different things. Living in the country is extremely stressful. The work day can be up to fourteen hours a day, and the definition of working hard in Japan is very hard to fulfill. Japanese society demands hard hard work and particular social etiquette. Japan also has many other negatives. The price of most items is extremelly high, for example: a cd can cost the equivelent of $40.00. Also taxes and living space is extremely expensive. Japan is also extremely homogeneous. If you were not "bred" in Japan, then you will always be looked at as an outsider. Although the Japanese will never openely treat you as an outsider, thats the thought in their heads. Personally, I would not be able to deal with that. The japanese language is also very difficult. If you do not speak the language daily tasks can be fairly difficult as you may not always encounter an english/japanese speaker. All in all, Japan is not a fun or relaxful place to be. If you enjoy stress, many demands, and being looked upon as an outsider than Japan is the place for you. My advice is to travel to Japan as much as possible. However, I strongly advice not moving there, just as your neighbor advises.

You said move, I gathered is moving here for good? Retire?

Nowadays ppl moved out to find a more affordable place to retire..

In short, you need to make a lot of changes and an effort as huge as Mount Everest to live in Japan. Just consider some of the things that I going to list here :-

lingo, working culture and culture outside of business. It is totally a different country from most of the "other countries". And your first changes would be lingo otherwise you are stuck! To like Japan or not, will depend on individual. Why not come over for a holiday and see it yourself first?

Source(s): personal experience

I've been here for over a decade. It has a lot to offer for a while, but ultimately you will NEVER be at home here. You will always be an outsider and you will NEVER feel that you are being treated equally. I don't care what people say - Japanese people do not treat foreigners equally. Say what you want. Get angry if you want, but I've been here and I know.

If you think you can get past that (like I have) you just might make it. But don't take the decision lightly. It will be day in day out once you're dug in over here.

Japan has some nice areas but don't listen to anyone who says it's "beautiful". It's going to be totally overdeveloped anywhere near population and the smog and the smoking will get to you. Believe me, it will. Miles of gray buildings and expressionless businessmen.

Depends on his/your age and marital status.

Japan is probably one of the best places for single people to live, but raising a family here is very difficult.

There is a lack of infrastructure to support young families and with both income tax and pension support payments on the rise, unless you have a well paying job, it may be difficult to support a family.

All that aside, coming to Japan for 2-3 years to work and travel is a great idea and I encourage you to keep that dream alive and go for it!

he was right.

i am here 3yrs+

i wish i did not come here.

i never seen any gaijin actuary like here after they got to learn the real japanese culture!

i mean not those English teacher. i mean working with japanese in japanese office in japan.

Yes, they stay until very late, but I can not say that they are hardworking people.

infact, it is lot of pretending, a lot of bully, a lot of time wasting activity, a lot of bad talking behind one another. (it common here! I did not make it up.)

It is just simply not the place for me. Some gaijin can accept it, but not me.

Just think, if they are so fantastic, why their suicide rate is very high?

It mush be some thing wrong, dont you think so?

• tisya

maybe he didnt make it good in japan and maybe he is correct its not wise to move there when youre older.japan is not a good place for retirement.but if youre in your best mobility age japan is a good place to explore.food is great,people are friendly and respectful,very peaceful neighborhood,clean city and jobs are well compensated.if you are a shop-a-holic japan is the place to be..fyi shopping is my stress buster in japan lol move now while your young!

Probably no merit for you.

Ppl don't speak English.

Everything expensive.

They do not take immigrant policy.

No racial diversity in East Asia.

Japan do not provide a retirement visa.

S.E.A is good. Cheap, they understand English, and some countries may offer you a retirement visa.

Emmie-cakes, it's hard to know why your friend said such a thing. Of course, Japan, is not for everyone. Japanese are hard working, serious people, who believe in creating beautiful yards and very beautiful plant sculptures and Bonsai. It is a beautiful country. Perhaps your friend is just a lazy no account bum, who wanted to hang out in bars, and look at the "Kosumi" girls who hang around bars. Does this "friend" even have a job? He sounds to me like he is on welfare. If I were you I would take greater care in picking my friends. This person sounds like a "Gobashi-san" to me.

I live in Japan and I love it. Your neighbor said it because he was unable to make it in Japan. Adjusting to the culture and learning the language are both difficult endeavors. I guess your neighbor failed at both.